OT: Remote Modem Progrmming

kbcombs

Greetings,

Is it possible to send AT commands to a remote modem via a dialup connection? My guess is no, but I hope I'm wrong. To be more specific: I want to dial the remote modem with Hyperterminal, then issue AT commands to the remote modem.

Local modem is a US Robotics Sportster. Remote modem is a Phoenix Contact PSI-DATA/FAX-MODEM/RS232.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Remote Modem Programming

Sending AT commands to a remote modem for control??

Hmmm.... I would'nt want such a device... would you?

Regards,
Corbis

I think no as well. It would cause too many problems. Like how does the local modem know the commands are not meant for it? Plus, once you got the modem's attention, it would disconnect and sit and wait for more commands.

But what I really want to know is why you want to do that.

-jeff

Thanks for the replies.

Sending AT commands to a remote modem for control??

Hmmm.... I would'nt want such a device... would you?

No... After thinking about it for a second it would be quite the security risk.

But what I really want to know is why you want to do that.

Because I am in Indiana and the modem I need to make programming changes to is in North Carolina.

Oh well... Wishful thinking... :oops:

Your best bet might be to rent a monkey from the local zoo, ship him a laptop, and walk him through it. If the zoo won't rent monkies, maybe the customer would be almost as good.

-jeff

You could have a second modem at the remote site and connect it to the Phoenix Contact modem with a crossover cable. Then dial into the second modem and send your AT commands.

Although it might be easier to just buy a new Phoenix Contact modem and program it at your shop and ship it to them.

The biggest problem with your plan tark is that it doesn't involve a single monkey. Let me try to explain in a language we can all understand.

Monkey     Bad_Plan
-]/[---------( )

-jeff

Last edited: