Panel Design Software

SLaubach

Do any OEMs such as AB or Seimens offer a software kit to design a panel? I would like spec a panel for bids which include such things as PLC, powersupply, terminal blocks etc... I could do it on CAD but if they offer it (FREE) it would make life easier.

Thanks!

There are too many variables in the design of control panels or control systems for any software house to attempt to automate. Many of the things which can trip you up in panel design are not written down anywhere, and some things are a matter of education and experience as well as personal preference. Additionally, new components are introduced so rapidly these days that no software package could keep up with them. AB used to have software for panel design which would at least do things such as proper spacing of components, BOM compilation and Panduit runs, but it was difficult to use and understandably biased toward AB components.
If you actually can do it on a CAD system then that's probably your best bet.

There are programs such as Promis-E etc. that combine utilities for simplifying schematic design, Bill of Materials take-offs, etc. but they are neither free nor do they "automate" panel design the way, for example, auto-routers or P-Spice automate circuit board design. There are also a number of program add-ins for AutoCad, but again they aren't free.

Tom Jenkins said:
There are also a number of program add-ins for AutoCad, but again they aren't free.

AB does have a free add-in program for Autocad (R14 & Higher but not LT) called RAISE which you can download from their Website or they will send you a CD...It is naturally biased towards AB equipment...I have only used it once to design a panel & it worked Ok.

I think OP-panels not need so much design, so do as I, drow the Lay-Out and do it as symbol for future use.
Usually it needs some power supply voltage and some serial-type interface. That is not big project, normally design.

opanel.jpg

Slightly off topic. But some time ago, some one posted a really nice standard for controls/panel construction that they had developed for their company. I beleive it contained basic wiring and component specs and even memory and I/O mapping specs. :unsure: I have been working on doing the same so I would like to find that one to give me some ideas. banghead
I have searched for it but I cant find it. :confused: If any one knows were it might be please let me know.

I may have jumped on this too quickly last night, but my impression was that he was looking for a program which would do the design function for him (i.e. specify I/O and voltage levels and turn it loose.)

If you are just trying to quickly throw things down on a page to generate a quote, you might consider Visio.

It would take some front end work, defining the symbols and adding attributes like cost, vendor, etc, but it's workable.