Siemens S7 License floppy disk

ninanderson

Just started a job for a long term Klockner-Moeller client who has a Siemens S7-300 on a Profibus link to a Moeller PS416. I need to mod the S7 program very slightly so the client has lent me a copy of Step7 and his license floppy. I would like to copy the floppy for my own use during the project - anyone know of a utility for doing this that works ?

Copying Siemens licence floppy disks and whether it is legal or not has been covered a few times in the past on this forum.

As ninanderson wants to copy the floppy for his 'own use during the project', I would guess that in this case it is not legal, as pointed out by OZEE, I state this because it is not his disk to make a back up of, I suspect that when the project is finished he will still have Step 7 on his PC/laptop and will also have a copy of another persons licence on floppy to run the software.

ninanderson,

What version of step 7 have you been lent? The later versions will run quite happily without the authorisation, you just get a 'nag screen' everytime you try to do something, the nag screen tells you that you do not have a valid licence for the software, I am sure that v5.3 and later, or those that use the floating licence, need to have been authorised before this facility is available. As you will have installed the licence lent to you by your client then this should not be a problem. As to the legality of doing this, I don't know about that. It is certainly unethical.

I am sure other S7 users will have their own views on this

Paul

Both Paul and OZEE are right, what's requested here is illegal. Contact your local Siemens representative. They might be able to help you in a legal way. Or you could try to live with the nag screens.

Kind regards,

Its a brand new pack, still skrink wrapped so i gues it must be the latest version. I've only got to mod a DB to change a modbus node number so I can certainly live with a nag screen - didn't realise that it would work in 'Demo' mode so no need install my clients license after all - Thanks