SIEMENS OPC Server quest.

GHORT

Hello!!

It's possible to send some data from PC using OPC server to the Siemens PLC S7-300?? (I am not asking about hardware just about software usability, simple method without any additional effort)

Thx in advance.
Ghort

Fiona Wang said:
Hi, please refer to our webpage www.xinje.com , wish you could use our PLC and HMI in your project, you will save a lot

Blatant advertising.

This is not what the original poster asked about, what have xinje PLC's got to do with a question about Siemens PLC's and OPC?

EDIT.. I have just noticed that Fiona Wang has posted the same anser on two other threads. Must be desperate for business :rolleyes:

Paul

Last edited:
Measured level from radar systems (lets name this company X)
<-> OPC server <-> Siemens S7 300 PLC

So, It's possible to send and write to PLC the measured level?

One of the programmer told me that it's not possible (writing data from OPC to PLC) so its better to ask much more experienced users about opinion.

There is not a problem with writing data from an opc client to an opc server. But your level sensor supplier should be an opc client but I have doubt about that. Why not reading the data with an analog input or profibus link.

Fiona Wang said:
Hi, please refer to our webpage www.xinje.com , wish you could use our PLC and HMI in your project, you will save a lot

I think this place is for asking questions and/or helping others and you're not doing neither. Stop your ads.
icon8.gif

s7xp.com said:
There is not a problem with writing data from an opc client to an opc server. But your level sensor supplier should be an opc client but I have doubt about that. Why not reading the data with an analog input or profibus link.

Some of the data from radar system is recalculate on PC (radar system manufacturer software)so it's not possible to connect radar directly to PLC. Radar manufacturer give me an option - they could instal OPC server and give me an access to demanded data. (it's special application acceptet by clerks)

And now, PC is an opc sever, radar is a client. I need some of the information to be sent from this PC to PLC(PLC could read this?)

The terms client and server are just like with databases for example.
The server provides the connection, the client uses the connection.
There is no limitation that a client can only retieve data. A client can send data as well.

GHORT said:
Measured level from radar systems (lets name this company X)
<-> OPC server <-> Siemens S7 300 PLC

So, It's possible to send and write to PLC the measured level?

One of the programmer told me that it's not possible (writing data from OPC to PLC) so its better to ask much more experienced users about opinion.

I assume that you already have the OPC server and that it was supplied by the sane company that supplied the radar equipment. If this is the case then that particular OPC server will need to be capabale of communicationg with S7 PLC. It is possible that their OPC server does not have an S7 interface. If this is the case you will need to findan OPC server that can connect to and S7 PLC and you will also need a software package that can communicate between the S7 OPC server and your Radar OPC server. We have a situation on site where we are using an OPC server to communicate between S7 PLC's and SeimensTi PLC's (dont blame me I inherited it !) We are using a Kepware OPC server to communicate to S7 and we are using Matricon OPC server to communicate with Seimens Ti. Above this we have another software package from Matrikon than handles the traffic between OPC servers.

I suggest that you search the net. Have a look at for OPC providers. Like I said we used Kepware and Matrikon both seem to work OK.