data conversion

chris.tgm

hello,

i'm new to the world of PLCs. i'm still a student and i have some questions regarding an assignment i received.
the problem is the following: there is a conveyerbelt and a senzor which ids the object that is placed on the conveyerbelt. after the identification process the object is moved along the conveyerbelt until it reaches a flap, the flap opens and the object is removed from the conveyerbelt. there are as many flaps as objects i consider. i know the speed of the conveyerbelt and the distance from the id senzor to all the flaps and i must do a program which,after the id process, will stop the conveyerbelt where the coresponding flap is and open it. i can't use senzors to detect the presence of an object on the flap. as help i recieved the indication to search in the data conversion operators to find something useful. i use isagraf. i found the OPERATE operator but i can't find some good explination on the way it works.

pardon my english. thanks a lot!

If you know how long it takes to get to the flaps, and you know which flap you want to work, why not just use timers?

Timers are not the way to go. Acceleration and deceleration are most probably not fixed.
With out actual sensors, you will not know where your product is, all you will be doing it guessing if it is in the correct position.

Does the conveyor belt have an encoder to track the actual movement? If so, then use the encoder numbers to track each object. When the encoder = distance to flap, then open flap.

If there is no encoder, then unless the conveyor has been defined to run at a constant speed, with no starting or stopping (only possible in an imaginary student problem), it will be difficult to track the objects exactly.