Whats the best OS to use in scada system?

What OS does your SCADA software require? IMO, one of the Linux distros is probably best, but very few, if any, SCADA packages are available for Linux.

If you have to use Windows, keep away from the 'home' versions but choose professional. W95 was known to freeze up after about 50 days. I don't know if W2K and XP in their home versions still have that same flaw, but the professional versions surely don't have it. SCADA needs to be online for over that amount of time in some (most) situations I know of.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
If you have to use Windows, keep away from the 'home' versions but choose professional. W95 was known to freeze up after about 50 days. I don't know if W2K and XP in their home versions still have that same flaw, but the professional versions surely don't have it. SCADA needs to be online for over that amount of time in some (most) situations I know of.

Kind regards,

We have a few customers that replaced existing SCADA PCs, and the new machines were running Windows XP Home edition. For the most part, they run fine. The only difference I have seen is that XP Home tries to restrict some of the administrative changes available in the Professional edition. This may or may not affect you. Personally, I always specify and use the Professional version.

I would go by what jgreenewv said.

If you don't require user based security then you can use Windows XP Home... otherwise go with WinXP Pro.

To access security features in XP Pro you'd go Start > Run > MMC > File > Add/Remove Snap-IN > Add > Group Policy Object Editor.

I wouldn't use Linux for a SCADA. The support available for Linux isn't as readily available to your customer if they have problems. Keep it simple.

If you're looking for an inexpensive database to link up and you don't require many user connections, go with Microsoft's SQL Server 2005 Express. Free and robust.

If you're trending/collecting data, just make sure you have redundancy on the computer hard-drives and you backup/ghost the machine regularly.

Security Access Router

No Windows update. Guards down.

Purchase a good router and have it handle the security. Thats unless you want to spend some nights troubleshooting why your working driver just don't work anymore.

Lock as much external input devices as you can.

Updates are only to be performed with a full tested working backup on hand :(

We run our SCADA on Windows Server 2003 on a virtual machine. Its very stable and rebooting is very fast. And to upgrade your hardware you simply copy the virtual machine over to the new hardware.

Pierre,

good sound advise. But tell me, am I wrong or is Montreal relocated in Vatican City nowadays? :confused: Or is it just the flag which has changed without prior notice? o_O

Kind regards,

If you're looking for an inexpensive database to link up and you don't require many user connections, go with Microsoft's SQL Server 2005 Express. Free and robust.
as far as databases go I would recommend MySQL, its Free, Robust, and without the restrictions of Express

Linux SCADA

OZEE said:
What OS does your SCADA software require? IMO, one of the Linux distros is probably best, but very few, if any, SCADA packages are available for Linux.

There is a fully fledged SCADA package for LINUX with drivers for most mainstream PLC's called MacroView.

see http://sencom.com.au/macroview.html

I have configured quite a few systems and they certainly are stable once commissioned.

Baz

This shouldn't be the case! Unfortunately, in most real world manufacturing environments I'd have to agree with you. Clearly in the availability versus security (confidentiality and integrity) debate, avalability wins in a production environment!

However, know that while your argument is practical, it isn't necessarily secure - particularly as you grow in scale. Your approach would be better suited for a more "appliance-ized" model like using thin clients (XP Embedded in MS-land), Linux distros, or web based clients.

The last 2 points are always sound advice.

Pierre said:
No Windows update. Guards down.

Purchase a good router and have it handle the security. Thats unless you want to spend some nights troubleshooting why your working driver just don't work anymore.

Lock as much external input devices as you can.

Updates are only to be performed with a full tested working backup on hand :(