Distributed IO control over Ethernet - Siemens Profinet

g18c

Hi, i have worked with a simple Siemens S7-300 with i/o modules directly attatched to the PLC CPU backplane. I also have a CP 343-1 communications processor lying around, if i wanted to have a number of digital I/O modules remotely controlled at the end of run of ethernet how would i do this? I know the CP 343-1 can be used to retrieve data from the running PLC by an OPC server, but how about distributed IO control over ethernet?

Can i have my local S7-300 PLC with local CP 343-1 (with this CP connected to ethernet network), and have a remote CP 343 (standalone without PLC CPU) with digital I/O modules connected locally to that? Or do i need a S7-300 + CP 343 for each i/o segment? Simple diagram below:

|S7-300||IO||CP 343| <--- ethernet ---> |CP 343||IO|

If this wouldnt work what components would i need? Also, would this be setup in the topology view of Simatic STEP 7? i have used the CP-343 locally and under the module configuration set its IP adddress without problems. Using STEP 7 would i defined the network topology and buses and perform the same? How do modules get configured when the are remote, just for my understanding is there some kind of bootstrap protocol to the master?
Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
g18c

To have distribute I/O over ethernet (Profinet) you require a PN CPU (eg 315-2PN/DP) and an Profinet interface module for the remote I/O (eg IM151-3PN), you cannot use a CP343-1 PN for hanging remote I/O off, these can only be used with the CBA part (CBA = Component Based Automation) for 'sharing' of data between the various compnents.
A CP343 must be PN enabled to be able to be connected using Profinet, and ordinary CP will not perform the same action.

If you require more information, then please ask.

Paul

If the CP343-1 is recent enough, then in the HW Config for the module there will be a "PROFINET" tab, and under that tab you have to select the "Operating Mode .. PROFINET IO Controller". When you do that, then there will appear a Profinet IO system in the overview, in much the same way as a Profibus network would.
You can then drop Profinet devices from the HW Catalog onto that IO network. I suggest you experiement with it to get the hang of it.

There are no IM module for Profinet on ET200M (=S7-300 i/o modules).
I suggest you take a look at ET200S and IM151-3PN.
You can indeed setup a S7-300 rack with a CPU + CP343-1 as a PN slave. But that would be a bit uneconomical methinks.

JesperMP said:
If the CP343-1 is recent enough, then in the HW Config for the module there will be a "PROFINET" tab, and under that tab you have to select the "Operating Mode .. PROFINET IO Controller". When you do that, then there will appear a Profinet IO system in the overview, in much the same way as a Profibus network would.

Jesper,

I was going to beg to differ on that....

The information that I have on Profinet and iMAP states that the CP343-1 PN can only be used for the CBA side of the comms, not as an interface for Profinet I/O, but before I did differ on this I checked in the hardware catalogue and you are quite correct (when are you ever wrong? ;) ) the latest 343's can be used for Profinet I/O, although I have never used them for such a purpose, I have alway brought PN enabled CPU's.

What would the difference in price be? A 317-2PN/DP versus a 317-2DP and a 343-1PN?

Paul