Step 7, Know-How Protection.

Tharon

I recently got a machine and program that uses Step 7 v5.4

Some of the blocks are Know-How protected (grrr). Is there a way to input the password while offline so I can review the program without having to connect to the PLC?

The help file says PLC -> Access Rights -> Setup, but that brings up a message saying that the set connection is not available right now (Cause I'm not connected to the PLC).

... and these have been discussed here before.

And the issue of intellectual properties has also been discussed in length.

Regards,

Well, I don't want to remove the password protection, I just want to be able to use the password without going out to the machine. (Who wants to go out to a 100 degree shop floor when you can stay in an air conditioned office?)

Was just wondering if there was any way to do so without connecting to the PLC.

There is no password for know how protect, you can remove the know how protect using a tool or database editor as hinted above.

Tharon said:
I recently got a machine and program that uses Step 7 v5.4

Some of the blocks are Know-How protected (grrr). Is there a way to input the password while offline so I can review the program without having to connect to the PLC?

The help file says PLC -> Access Rights -> Setup, but that brings up a message saying that the set connection is not available right now (Cause I'm not connected to the PLC).

It seems you have mixed some concepts.
Know how protection is put in when creating the source, without the source there is no legal way to check the code.
PLC -> Access Rights -> Setup: that is password-protecting the PLC not the program.

s7xp.com said:
There are tools available to remove the protection.
And you didn't read the question - this is a completely different sort of protection to Know-how protect which can be removed by shouting at it .

jvdcande said:
... and these have been discussed here before.

And the issue of intellectual properties has also been discussed in length.

Regards,

And still people don't take note !

Make a post hinting at copying a license and you will be shot , but everyone is free and easy with intellectual property .

10BaseT said:
And you didn't read the question - this is a completely different sort of protection to Know-how protect which can be removed by shouting at it .

You know... I'm sorry I asked.
I read the help files in Step7 and the help for know-how protection lead me to:

Using password protection you can:
  • Protect the user program in the CPU and its data from unauthorized changes (write protection)
  • Protect the programming know-how in your user program (read protection)
  • Prevent online functions that would interfere with the process
I thought know-how was a password protection, which I can get access to the password from the original creator.

This wasn't about stealing, or hacking some protection off of a program. It was just about me not understanding and misreading a help file. I'm sorry.

Don't worry - however access protection is based on a few things - a window user and group has to be created , and by the sounds of things , even if you do connect to the configured processor , you won't get access to thos blocks - the guy didn't intend to allow anyone future access without permission .

The thing with password protection, it effects the entire PLC. If it is write protected you could see but not change, read protected, he's blocked you out altogether, therefore no access at all.

I presume the supplier will tell you that the generated alarms is all you will ever need.

I have no problems personally with this if its a small stand-alone machine where the equipment is supported (all be it you would probably have to pay).

If the code was controlling a line, then I would be sceaming blue murder.

10BaseT. said:
Make a post hinting at copying a license and you will be shot

Copying a license!!! How do you do that?

I think that that is something that cannot and should not be discussed on an open public forum.

[Tongue placed in cheek]

Those of us that buy legit software and licenses end up paying for those that use copied (pirated) software, I am sure that Siemens and the like would reduce the cost of their software if piracy was stopped....

[/Tongue placed in cheek]

10BaseT. said:
but everyone is free and easy with intellectual property

The ownership of intellectual property has also been discussed a few times on this forum, personally I have no problem, I don't work for an OEM, I am not self employed, I just work for an end user and as an end user I wouldn't accept anything other than full access to the PLC and program.

PeterW,

Are you the same PeterW that was based in London with a Welsh flag for your nationality?

Paul