AB RIO Adapter faulting

bbear

This Remote Rack 13 and 14 have been installed for 5 months with no issues. In the last 3 days the RIO Adapter in Rack 13 has faulted 3 times. No sure what fault lights were on except the electrician said the "blinking". Two times the line was down for a maintenance downturn and one time while operating. The reset buttton on the adapter would not clear fault so power was cycled. Fault was cleared however output module 5 (8 module rack) would not output(no lights on module)while PLC had logic picked. Swaped output modules, no luck, swap back. Replaced 1794-TB3 terminal block and it was ok for over 24 hours then problem returned. This last time the electrician cleared the fault by cycling power and again had not output on module 5 so swap the module 5 output with another and it cleared and then he powered it down and swap back to orginal output modules. Any ideas on what is going on or where to check for problems?

Not saying that that this is it, but I have found that when problems seem to be in the PLC and replacing cards does not work, check the field devices on the offending card(s). A wire that has rubbed and is shorting to ground will fault a rack. Good luck.

Robert

Try installing a new card, but don't swing the wire connector thingy up. In other words, does the rack fault if the I/O has nothing connected to it?

Robert

"The reset buttton on the adapter would not clear fault so power was cycled."

Found the Dip Switch setting on the RIO Adapter was set to reset through PLC not manual reset. Can anyone tell me how to reset it through the PLC and how to look up fault details in the PLC if this fault happens again? It is a AB PLC5, unfortuately where I have worked in the past used several differnet brands of PLC's other than AB.

Check out chapter 6:​

I believe the PLC-5 will automatically clear the fault bit now that you have the dipswitch setting changed.​

If you haven't discovered this already, be very certain your manual for the 1794-ASB matches the revision letter of the actual hardware. AB has changed the function of some of those dipswitches over the years to accomodate 32 point modules and RIUP. That has bitten me before when replacing a series A 1794-ASB module with a series D.​

I would also suggest you go to ab.com knowledge base and search on the 1794-ASB. There are tons of problems with these modules that may or may not affect your system, but get familiar with them anyway.​

Also, look in RSLogix5 at the channel status tab(s). Figure out which channel is your RIO scanner and find the status file number. If it is zero, then no channel status file has been assigned. If that is the case, you will want to do that to troubleshoot in greater detail.​

If you need to create the status file, be sure to use an empty file or create a new one...I think RSLogix will create it for you and size it accordingly when you enter a value in the channel status screen and hit Apply or OK. I think you must be in program mode even if the file exists, or offline and then download...​

Once the status file is assigned, you can use it to monitor the health of the RIO link. In the old days, we had to go into the status file and comment the addresses depending on the RIO config, you can still do that, and even use some fo the status bits in your PLC program as interlocks. Nowadays, RSLogix5 will display the contents in a nice handy table for you when you go to the Channel Status dialog.​

Hope this helps...​
Paul​

Another possibility: (technote ID 40165)​
Rack Faults When Using a Flex 1794-ASB Series D or E RIO Adapter with a Classic PLC-5 Processor
The 1794-ASB Series D and Series E RIO adapters are NOT compatible with the Classic PLC-5 Processors. Rack faults will result when using this combination of hardware.​
The 1794-ASBLT Flex RIO Adapter was developed to provide a version of the RIO adapter that can be used with Classic PLC 5/15 (1785-LT) and 5/25 (1785-LT2) processors. Note: The 5/10 (1785-LT4) and 5/12 (1785-LT3) Classic PLC-5 Processors do not have Remote I/O capability.​
Use the 1794-ASBLT Series D adapter when communicating with Classic PLC-5/15 or PLC-5/25 processors via Remote I/O.​
The 1794-ASBLT Series D adapter is a replacement for the 1794-ASB Series D adapter ONLY when communicating with PLC-5/15 or PLC-5/25.​
Reference Publication No. 1794-IN110A-EN-P​

This would apply if you are using a Classic PLC5. Find out if your is Classic or Enhanced based on the part number. These are part numbers for the Enhanced processors:

1785-L11B, -L20B, -L30B, -L40B,
-L40L, -L60B, -L60L, -L80B, -L20E,
-L40E, -L80E, -L26B, -L46B, -L86B

Last edited:
Thanks Paul.
I will research the areas you suggested. You guys on this Forum are a great resource for those of us that are looking for a directions on problems.

Flex

I would also check the Voltage at the ASB Card. We found older supplies would fault the rack due I think to poor regulation. We Have good luck with Phoenix and Omron. Phoenixcon.com has the product info. Also the Communication cable can give trouble. Is it terminated correctly? If this is the end of the drop it needs to have a termination rersistor. I would swap out the ASB card if everything else is OK.

I had a problem like you first described and it was cured by removing all modules, and disconnecting, then reconnecting the plugs between all the TB3 modules, and ASB, during this process I found 2 of the plugs had not been fully home, although they appeared to be, as the modules fitted.