?HOW: Using OPC between VB and RSView?

jlbudd

I work in a teaching playground at Purdue University and the students using the lab are looking into communicating betweeen RSView and Visual Basic using OPC.

Does anyone have any advise on this of how it can be done. They are having troubles using DDE also but I would assume that OPC is the better way to go if it can be done.

Thanks for any help. banghead

I havn't used RSView to connect, but I am currently using KepServer to connect via OPC. You can download it from thier website. The only limitation is that it has a 2 hour time limit for demo mode. So after 2 hours, you would have to quit and restart it. The program is really simple to set up and get up and running. It comes with a few visual basic sample programs too. I found it very easy to set up and use. I'm not sure of the website to get it from, but just search for Kepserver OPC or something.

RSView and OPC and NetDDE

Works ok with VBA and OPC compliant clients and servers. The main problem is in the nomenclature used in tags etc. the application, topic, and item names are not necessarially straightforward. Start with a simple tag and work out the proper stuff and expand from there. The examples offered in AB knoledgebase is a good start but can be confusing as to the exact setup of the tag. Are you using RSView as a client or server? The channel and nodes are the key setup to get data from other applications. As to getting data from RSView it should be easy.

OPC is the way to go. Everyone is developing clients and servers. DDE are 16 bit applications and will be going away. OPC is 32 bit. 32 is twice as good as 16, right?