how to open a downloaded RS View program

gkinslow

I am new to RS View. I have used many hmi building applications including PanelBuilder32, but never RS View. I have downloaded an application folder & saved it in the same location as the other projects that came with the software when I loaded it, but I cannot figure out how to open this new project. Also, I developed a small project, but I cannot figure out how to get it loaded to my PaneView Plus 600 w/ethernet comms. I really need assistance as this project is due for debug in 2 days. The PLC prgm has been done.

gkinslow said:
I am new to RS View.
Buy a big bottle of Tylenol...and maybe some Jack Daniels​

gkinslow said:
I have downloaded an application folder & saved it in the same location as the other projects that came with the software when I loaded it, but I cannot figure out how to open this new project.
For this part, we need to know some more details...I don't have enough experience with it to guide you very well here. We run ME, SE standalone, View32, and SE distributed, and the Factory Talk, RSLinx Enterprise stuff still has me totally confused. Thankfully, I have only had to make minor changes to existing applications.​

Don't despair, there are members here who will help you there.​

EDIT: You may want to check into the Tools--> Application Manager. I know that you can't just move folders around as you would expect. You MUST use the Application Manager...at least that's been my experience.​

I CAN help some with uploading a file from a PV+ if you don't have a backup to work with. I learned this trick from other members and have used it successfully.​

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_lev

There is a way to unarchive MER file...

To un-archive the MER file follow these easy steps:
Upload MER file from PanelView.

2. Double click on the project with the MER extension. RS View ME Station will start.
3. As long as RS View ME Station is running (even if an error is shown) it un-archives the project to:

C:\Documents and Settings\
<login username>\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00

Replace
<login username> with your login details.

Note that “\Local Settings” is a hidden directory.
The un-archived files are deleted when ME Station is no longer running.

That worked like a champ​

I had to create a new project in RSView Studio with the same name as the .MER. This is the only way that I was able to open the project in RSView Studio.​

I deleted all the contents of the new project and replaced them with the contents of the temporary folder noted in your steps.​

The one thing that it didn't restore was the RSLinx Enterprise path. I guess that is not that big of deal as long as you don't replace the comms when you download. It is pretty simple to re-create it though.​

One of our Engineers was at the Automation Fair a couple of weeks ago and a Rockwell guy said that this was not possible. They are supposed to add this feature into the next release of RSView.​

baref00t25 vbmenu_register("postmenu_176434", true);

Local Time is: 01:07 PM

Here is a little more detailed description of the process to convert a .mer file to a .apa.

Create a new application in RSView Studio with the name that you want to restore your .mer application to, for this example let us use the name “Restored App”. The new application is stored at: “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\Restored App\”​

Upload the .mer file from the panelview plus using the file transfer utility provided with RSView Studio. Run the uploaded .mer application on your PC. You will get a warning most likely that you current license will only work for two hours, then you will get a warning stating that you have too many screens to run on your current license. These warnings are fine this will still work. Anyways, once it has been opened it extracts all the files from the .mer file into the following directory: “C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00\”

Select all the files within the “~MER.00” directory and copy them into the “Restored App” directory overwriting all the files in the “Restored App” directory. Now go and open the RSView Studio and select Restored App. Like I mentioned before you will certainly lose the alarm messages, but you can open the M_Alarms directory and read the MachineAlarms.mal file in notepad.​

Last edited:
I am using RSView Studio ME version 4.00. Its a stand alone version. The biggest thing I would like to be able to do at this point is load a small program that I built, onto the brand new PanelView Plus 600.

gkinslow said:
I am new to RS View. I have used many hmi building applications including PanelBuilder32, but never RS View. I have downloaded an application folder & saved it in the same location as the other projects that came with the software when I loaded it, but I cannot figure out how to open this new project. Also, I developed a small project, but I cannot figure out how to get it loaded to my PaneView Plus 600 w/ethernet comms. I really need assistance as this project is due for debug in 2 days. The PLC prgm has been done.

Maybe you could clarify what you have done already. What do you mean when you said you "downloaded an application folder". When you launch RSView Studio ME (if that's what you have) all you have to do is double click the project file.

Once you create a project, you have to create a runtime file then use the download utility to load the .mer file into PanelView Plus.

You also need to check the comms to be sure that RSLinx "sees" both your computer and your PanelView. If you are going directly from a PC to the PanelView, you will also need a crossover cable.

When I stated that I downloaded an application folder I should have given some clairification. The file is downloaded as a zip file. After I have downloaded it, in the zip file is a folder with the name of the program. I unzipped that to the location of RSView Enterprise> ME> HMI Projects. In the folder HMI Projects is where the other folders for the other existing projects is located.

I have a crossover cable. I haven't tried to setup comm just yet. Is the setup for the comms like a regular PanelView?

You can't move a Panelview Plus/RSView ME project by simply copying the project folder. You should have downloaded an '.apa' file. Then you would use the previously mention Application Manager to 'restore' the project. True this does create (make sure you delete the old project first) the project folder but, more importantly, it creates a BUNCH of entries in the registry. Just moving a project folder doesn't do this. RSView ME TOTALLY depends on these registry entries. If they aren't there then the project doesn't exist as far as RSViewME is concerned. Similarly, if you just delete a project folder, the project is still there as far as RSViewME is concerned because the entries for it are still in the registry. You must use the Application Manager to do anything (Restore, Backup, delete, Copy) to a project.