OT: WinXPsp2 Icons in Win Explorer

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

Laptop Dell D820 WinXP Sp2 brand new

Fully up to date (Windows Update) running IE 7 etc etc

When i open up windoze explorer in the right hand pane where the files are - all files (and for that matter directories) show with an Internet Explorer Icon next to them ?

I cannot find where i can change this so the programs show with there proper icons ?

Any clues would be welcome as this is very strange and i havent come across it before!

That is weird...so what do you see when you go to Tools --> Folder Options... ---> File Types tab?

EDIT: You might also look under View --> Customize This Folder ... and hit the Restore Default button there. You would have to do this for the entire directory structure, but you could test it at least to see what happens in one particular area...

Last edited:
OkiePC said:
That is weird...so what do you see when you go to Tools --> Folder Options... ---> File Types tab?

A heap of extensions with there associated icons as it should be

OkiePC said:
EDIT: You might also look under View --> Customize This Folder ... and hit the Restore Default button there. You would have to do this for the entire directory structure, but you could test it at least to see what happens in one particular area...

Done that already, just tried it again in case i made an error, still got IE Icons on everything

It only appears on the D drive though (CD/DVD) the C drive shows icons properly?

Also whilst viewing the D drive folder directory if i hit F5 then in a millisecond the folders/programs show the correct icons then they get overwritten by the IE Icon ??

This is my autoroute (2nd) cd

aroute.jpg

Typical, all was looking good.........

Did the Microsoft KB steps, all icons restored....

Until you reboot then its back to square one all IE icons :(