CP5511 to CPU315-2

Rosc

Dear College's
Can somebody help me with a communication problem i'm having?
I'm trying to get connection to a siemens PLC (CPU 315-2) with my Computer. I'm Using Step 7 with SP 6 under Windows XP.
I'm using a CP5511 card which is setup correct(I Think) in windows, but is not able to see the PLC.

:unsure: :unsure:

Hello !
Use the Setting PG_PC program to check/configure the interface
to the PLC. I use the (AUTO) setting because then I don't have to change the setting when I plug the cable between MPI-PROFIBUS connectors.
There is also the Properties button and if you do not use the
Auto setting Diagnostics button where you can check the card/connection etc.

Siemens use a card numbering system which is as follows:

first digit - 1 = industrial ethernet, 2 = ASi bus, 5 = profibus
Second digit - 4 = ISA, 5 = PCMCIA 6 = PCI
third and fourth digit - 11 = dumb card requires softnet 12, 13 and 14 = intelligent card.

So from the card number that you are using CP5511, that is a profibus card (5) PCMCIA (5) and dumb (11).

Have you installed the 'softnet' software to enable this card to communicate?

As I use Siemens PG720's I do not have this problem, so I am having a stab in the dark as to what you need to do to resolve your problem.

Hope this helps though

Paul

Hello !
As I remember the 5511 is a pcmcia -card for mpi/profibus. all you have do is go to the setting PG-PC interface and select install... then just select the right assigment. If you have some odd bus profile then select Network Detection...(some times you have to start the PC again)

Some times the CPU 315 doesn't start to communicate before you do a complite memory reset of the PLC.. Don't ask me why you have to do that. (to reset: turn key ccw, two blinks, back cw, then ccw, all leds come on when you relese the key)..

While Step7 V5.1SP6 will run under XP, V5.2 is the official release that supports XP. Since the CP5511 drivers for programming are integrated into the Step7 package, it could be that V5.1SP6 doesn't have the updated XP driver.

The CP5511 should be the only PC Card that you are using. The CP5511 doesn't like other cards being plugged into the PCMCIA slots. Make sure that the Bus Adapter is plugged into the Lan Adapter before inserting the card into your laptop. After you insert the CP5511, go to set PC/PG interface in Simatic Manager and select CP5511 (MPI). Go to diagnostics and verify the card is working properly. Then, Go back to the Simatic manager and go to Display Accessible nodes.

Let me know if that helps

* The CP5511 will work with Step 7 v 5.1 under XP. I am using it as we speak

* Softnet is not required for connecting via MPI

Last edited:
CP5511 OK - 3Com NOK

Thanks Guys,

I've got it working now.
But of course something else stopped working now.
My 3com card, which is integrated in my laptop, doesn't communicate anymore when i leave the cp5511 card in.
I have to deinstall the cp5511 card before i can use my 3com card again.
For my 3com i am using IRQ 9 and for my cp5511 IRQ 7.
The adresses aren't ovewrlapping.
So i don't know was is interfering with my 3com card.
So once again i'm I need some HELP.

If anyone know how to solve this, Please tell me.

Allready THANKS.
:confused:

the Cp5511 doesn't not like to share PC card slots with anything. Chances are that your integrated 3com card uses one slot. The memory resources overlap, causing your problem

The Siemens database has alot of info pertaining to the CP5511 and using with an IBM laptop (which I have) and other pcmcia cards (especially the 3COM Ethernet adapter). The CP5511 wants its own IRQ so if any device is using that IRQ, one or the other or both may not work.

Yes the CP5511 is a dumb device but does work with MPI or Profibus. I can attest to the fact that it can be aggrevating to get to work at first.

Here are a few links to assist in solving problems getting the CP5511 to work.
1.http://www4.ad.siemens.de/WW/llisap...&lang=en&content=skm/search.asp?&Query=CP5511

2.CP5511 Manual

3. This will link you to the CP5511 database on Siemens site, you can also goto top left corner and do a search:http://www4.ad.siemens.de/WW/llisap...05995&basisview=4000003&wttree=cs&jumpto=1086

Hope this helps

Thanks RSdoran,

I had a firewire card connected to my laptop, I uninstalled it and re-installed the CP5511 at IRQ 7 and it accecpted it......but.......now it is giving me problems with the memory addressing. I can't find the entry D000-DFFF (D-segment) under memory in the resources section!! which was recommended by Siemens!!

I'm having no luck

Thanks
Martin.

Out of curiousity, is Siemen's supporting both XP home and professional?

Thanks!

Martin if you click on this LINK then goto CP 5511 is not correctly addressed under Windows2000/XP
It offers a utilitly program that lets you set resources and memory, the name is CP5511INF.exe