Ethernet Distance

husnain.mahmood said:
ok it means there is no solution using cat5,cat5e, cat6 or cat7 type cables.

of course....google 'ethernet extenders' whether they are a better/more reliable/cheaper solution than FO is up to you to determine....

The maximum distance is 100m per link. You can try the 160m -- it may or may not work... If you can't put in an extender or another switch, then you'll have to go fiber or wireless.

The 100m drop length comes from the time it takes the header of the packet (or something like that) to travel the length of the drop and back. When packets are sent, there is a point in time when all devices on the drop have to decide whether there is a collision or not and pull back, go through their CSMA/CD waiting scheme and then try to re-send.

If the drop is too long, the collision cannot be detected in time to stop colliding packets. However, with the advent of the $99 ethernet switch, most drops only have 1 device on them. At that point it may become an electrical signal level issue.

I would test it but if it is for a critical application, use an intermediate switch or fiberoptic.

I used 3 switches on a 400m run and it worked fine.
However, it was only a temporary solution used for aprroximately 1 month with no noticable loss in signals during that time.

Just my 2c worth.

husnain.mahmood said:
ok, confirm me weather using another switch in between will solve matter or not.FO is not required at all.

It will work fine... you've heard that several times now. Just go get any cheap switch/router/hub, throw it in there about mid-way and you'll be set.

I have run 150 meters with no problems - direct with no switch in between.
Try with 160 meters and good quality industrial SFTP cable. I'll bet it will be OK.

You can run longer lengths than 100m however you will not obtain optimum speeds if you do so without some form of switch. also some network cards in autoconfigure will have problems if it attempts to configure the card to 100 mbps as the longer length won't support it. If you do run longer than 100m without a switch you may have to manually set that property on your network adaptor to 10 mbps.

Hello,

I have to connect a PLC and a PC over a distance of 800m. I intend to use 7 switches (20 euro each) in order to achieve this distance. Can I power the seven swithecs with with only two wires 24V and 0V over 800m distance.

Regards