DH + Communication

jdb

Hello
New lap top with no serial port, USB only, need to communicate DH+
called A&B they say you cant run DH+ through USB must be done with PCMK card and cable cost 2,230.00, has any one found a way around this or am I at the mercy of A&B.
I went to archives to get info on DH+ but it say archives no longer online
thank you for your time

Never tried it myself, but I have often wondered if a 1770-KF2 and a USB to serial converter will work. Total cost from ebay is about $120

But its just not very portable for laptop use.

Ken.... you must have been a few seconds faster than me!

dear friend,

i have gone trough the same problem and the pcmia is very expensive. At last i installaed the Rslogic in mydesktop pc and communicate with the plc via the desktop serial port. I would suggest do not waste trying all sort usb to serial adaptor. AB need a real serial port.

thanks and regards

ravi chandran

I found a used PCMK Series B on EBAY for 300 bucks but the price goes up depending whos got it. The cable runs about 275 from IRBY last time I checked

AB need a real serial port.
No. This has been discussed a million times. For DF1 to PLC5 or SLC500, a USB to serial converter will work OK. Have done it. Will also be OK for a KF2.
If JDB cannot afford a PCMK card, then consider passthru from DF1 to DH+ via an SLC5/04 if there is one available. Has also been discussed a million times.

I have a PCMCIA serial card for my laptop. Works fine with anything as it is a "real" serial port.

The problem with USB addaptors comes when something needs direct hardware access to the serial port. USB adaptors only provide a "virtual" serial port.

I've had my laptop connected to various PLCs, ABB flowmeters, Serck telemetry outstations, Prosoft CLX profibus scanners, etc. all without problems.

For information my card is a Brainboxes PM-020 and cost about 70 GBP (about $140 US) Info Here

keithb said:
I have a PCMCIA serial card for my laptop. Works fine with anything as it is a "real" serial port.

The problem with USB addaptors comes when something needs direct hardware access to the serial port. USB adaptors only provide a "virtual" serial port.

I've had my laptop connected to various PLCs, ABB flowmeters, Serck telemetry outstations, Prosoft CLX profibus scanners, etc. all without problems.

For information my card is a Brainboxes PM-020 and cost about 70 GBP (about $140 US) Info Here

Have you used it with Allen Bradley's 1747-PIC/AIC+ dirver ( thru RSLinx)?

I used a USB serial adapter with a 1747-pic and it didn't work. Supposedly the pic rely's on power from the serial port. My laptop had a nervous breakdown from the experience.

Alcoa Tech said:
I used a USB serial adapter with a 1747-pic and it didn't work. Supposedly the pic rely's on power from the serial port.
From what I gather, problems arise because of the speed of communication. DH485 has such high speed token passing that even a standard serial port has problems, hence why RSLinx replaces the Microsoft serial driver with its own.

The 1747-UIC and 1770-KF2 work better because they have their own processor that handles the token passing which offloads it from the PC.

Archie said:
Never tried it myself, but I have often wondered if a 1770-KF2 and a USB to serial converter will work. Total cost from ebay is about $120

But its just not very portable for laptop use.

Ken.... you must have been a few seconds faster than me!
If the KF2 is the large "desktop" box that was the serial interface to DH+ then I have used it and a USB converter it works fine. USB converter was a "Belkin PDA adapter" or some similar name. Definitely not very portable.

Archie said:
From what I gather, problems arise because of the speed of communication. DH485 has such high speed token passing that even a standard serial port has problems, [..]
No it is not the speed. DH485 runs at a mere 19200 baud so that is not the explanation. What I hear is that it is an exact timing that is required (whatever that means).

Anyway, this thread is beginning to move in the direction of DH485. Dont forget that RoTaTech asked about DH+ and USB. That is why I mentioned a KF2 and passthru as possible options.