B&R

oattiq

Hi there

In a bit of trouble , could someone guide me in a good direction regarding B&R PLC's.Lately i came across this PLC but really not know much of it.I am more interested in knowing the general characteristics than going into engineering details.

I hope there is someone out there!!!

thanks,waiting in anticipation.
Omer

I can tell you a little about these units. They have two software packages that they use depending on the PLC model. The one is called PROSYS and the other is Automation Studio. PROSYS is the older dos based version and I have gotten it to work on all Windows platforms upto XP PRO. They also use, or at least in PROSYS, a proprietary communications cable that connects the PC's parallel port to the PLC. They use a language that they call Statement, however I consider it to be closer to assembler. I do have a cd that I could image and send to you that I acquired from them at one of their training seminars I attended. What it has on the cd is a list of all their commands, how the command is used, what flags it manipulates, what all modes it can be used in, etc.
The one thing that is nice, although i have not used it, I was told that you can program in both this statement list and in ladder and the two program will run independantly at the same time.

I have not worked that much with the Automation Studio. So I can not give any real detailed information on that. However the prosys I have and do have a lot of details about that should you be interested in further information.

oattiq said:
Hi there

In a bit of trouble , could someone guide me in a good direction regarding B&R PLC's.Lately i came across this PLC but really not know much of it.I am more interested in knowing the general characteristics than going into engineering details.

I hope there is someone out there!!!

thanks,waiting in anticipation.
Omer

You are welcome.

One thing. B&R have had previous PLC ranges that are not present in their current product catalog. If the PLC you have is not a 2003, a 2005 or an X20 then you have to contact B&R to get support.
The PROSYS programming software mrtweaver mentions is probably for the older types.

It is true the PROSYS software is for the older style B&R PLC units. THese are what has been refered to as the black box style PLC. They are modular rack style and are a really nice system. I also know that a lot of german based companies that use PLC's in their machines still use these black box type units. Why? Because they are pratically problem free, the logic has already been written, tested and debuged and it is what they are trained on. So if it is a german based machine it could very well be one of the older style units. I know from working at a previous employer, which I left only 1 year ago, that a new machine had been purchased from a german based manufacturer. When this machine came in, although it was manufactured in 2005, it still used the older black box PLC which used the PROSYS programming software. I also know that when I went for training at B&R in 2004 that at that time the Automation Studio would not communicate with the older black box units. I dont know if they worked on that or even if it was something they wanted to work on. But that is all I know right now.

JesperMP said:
You are welcome.

One thing. B&R have had previous PLC ranges that are not present in their current product catalog. If the PLC you have is not a 2003, a 2005 or an X20 then you have to contact B&R to get support.
The PROSYS programming software mrtweaver mentions is probably for the older types.

B&R System 2005 OPC server

Hi guys,

I will have to interface with a B&R PLC 2005 soon to get data out of it. Looks like they are the only ones who have an OPC server for the PLC. However, I cannot find what the right OPC server is for 2005 with an Ethernet interface. Can someone help?
I dowloaded the 2005 user manual and selected English, but the manual is in German. A search for OPC servers on the site turned up a bunch of them and I don't know which is the right one (http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-automation_com/hs.xsl/searchresults_ENG_HTML.htm?searchtype=all&search=OPC&x=21&y=1)
Also anyone know of any distributors for B&R in US?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can tell you this much and dont know how much help it will be. But I know that KepWares product KepserverEx does say to have the needed drivers for the B&R PLC. You might want to start checking there.

automatic said:
Hi guys,

I will have to interface with a B&R PLC 2005 soon to get data out of it. Looks like they are the only ones who have an OPC server for the PLC. However, I cannot find what the right OPC server is for 2005 with an Ethernet interface. Can someone help?
I dowloaded the 2005 user manual and selected English, but the manual is in German. A search for OPC servers on the site turned up a bunch of them and I don't know which is the right one (http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-automation_com/hs.xsl/searchresults_ENG_HTML.htm?searchtype=all&search=OPC&x=21&y=1)
Also anyone know of any distributors for B&R in US?

Thanks!

mrtweaver said:
I can tell you this much and dont know how much help it will be. But I know that KepWares product KepserverEx does say to have the needed drivers for the B&R PLC. You might want to start checking there.

I could not find a B&R driver on their website. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they have it.

Here is a screen shot of the version of kepserver I am running. You see the B&R listed as their full company name.

I also know some of the other programs I have looked as seem to have a driver for the B&R. One is Citect and if I recall correctly the other is Wonderware. There might be others.

automatic said:
I could not find a B&R driver on their website. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they have it.

Dear oattiq,

You can submit support requests to B&R here:
http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-automation_com/hs.xsl/service_5640_ENG_HTML.htm

This will go to the right office based on your region.

2005 User's Manual in English can be found here:
http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-productcatalogue/hs.xsl/services_66579_ENG_HTML.htm

You can to scroll to version 4.0 to get to English.

As far as software goes.
PROSYS was used for mini, multi, and maestro product lines. The operating system on those was OS9.

PG2000 is another software used for 2010, 2005, 2003, and Panelware product lines.

Automation Studio is the newest software that is a direct descendant of PG2000. Like PG2000, it is used to program PLCs based on Automation Runtime (VxWorks) operating system.

Any PLC programmed with PG2000 can be programmed with Automation Studio.
PROSYS is a completely different system and is not compatible to the above.

Automation Studio also comes in two product lines: 2.x and 3.x. There are differences but not that many.

Please contact B&R support for more information.

Back
Top Bottom