Different methods of connecting to a PLC.

Tharon

I've seen projects using siemens (CPU315F-2 DP) and the programmers connected remotely from across the ocean. All the people at the machine had to do was plug in a wireless router and communications cable.

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect directly through the router from overseas like that, or if it's more likely that they had a remote access to a PC somewhere in the plant that had the software and was connected to the PLC.

I know very little when it comes to communications like this, and the Ethernet manuals that came with Step7 talk more of ethernet communications between nodes rather than online communicaitons.

Is there anywhere I can look to get manuals or example set ups on these types of advanced communications?

Ok, I seem to have another issue. I'm a mostly A-B guy, with most of my experience (be it very little experience) being with A-B.

Does Siemens have a communications set up similar to RSLinx, where you can see what you are connected to without having to have a program? (So far all I've seen is a network set up inside of S7 Manager, which is part of the whole project).

No. Siemens dont have exactly the same as RSLinx.
The closest and easiest is to use the "accessible nodes" from within STEP7 Manager. It will look out on the network that is currently setup in the Set PG/PC Interface utility.

About the remote access, There are two ways:
One using TeleService software option for S7 in combination with a modem and a TS Adapter or similar.
The other is if the PLC or HMI has ethernet connectivity. Together with a router and VPN you can in principle reach the PLC or HMI from anywhere. This is probably what you saw.
This latter method is not particular to Siemens, so that is why you will find very little Siemens documentation about it. Talk to an IT expert in stead.

Hi guys !
This is my first note, and my english is not great so be tolerant...

1) I assumed that the PLC is connected by an ethernet card in a VPN (like Microsoft VPNServer)
2) You have to kown the pubblic address of the VPN (like www.mysite.com or xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and you need an user/password
3) You need a computer connected to that VPN by web
4) From simatic manager open your project, choose the right PG/PC interface (on my pc is called "tcp/ip(auto) VPN-1 SecureClientAdapter")
5) You're online, you can debug and/or change PLC program and data

bye
BR1

Hi everybody

We have set up a remote access to one of our machines in brisbane australia. We used Netcomm ADSL NB5580 routers on both ends and established a VPN tunnel. You can connect and disconnect VPN tunnel whenever u want to use it. And also used moxa ethernet to serial converter to connect on to SEW drives and to PILZ safety PLC. You need to type in the gateway address if you have ethernet ports on your remote devices. We have full read and write access to 2 PLC's 31 SEW drives and to a Fanuc robot. Best thing is every thing is real time not slow as if u use PCAnywhere. Even I can see the robot's movements on Roboguide from Melbourne.

on the remote site(location machine)is the router connected to the company's wired LAN or is this done all wirelessly? i like to setup similar application.. but i think i might have firewall issue when accessing the company network remotely... i feel their server may block such access... i'm not an IT guru but an industrial electrician with diploma in electronics and computer system engineering... i'm familair with routers and vpn setup... but never tried to access plc or vsd like this before...how can i achieve something like this.. thanks in advance...

Hi everybody

We have set up a remote access to one of our machines in brisbane australia. We used Netcomm ADSL NB5580 routers on both ends and established a VPN tunnel. You can connect and disconnect VPN tunnel whenever u want to use it. And also used moxa ethernet to serial converter to connect on to SEW drives and to PILZ safety PLC. You need to type in the gateway address if you have ethernet ports on your remote devices. We have full read and write access to 2 PLC's 31 SEW drives and to a Fanuc robot. Best thing is every thing is real time not slow as if u use PCAnywhere. Even I can see the robot's movements on Roboguide from Melbourne.
on the remote site(location machine)is the router connected to the company's wired LAN or is this done all wirelessly? i like to setup similar application.. but i think i might have firewall issue when accessing the company network remotely... i feel their server may block such access... i'm not an IT guru but an industrial electrician with diploma in electronics and computer system engineering... i'm familair with routers and vpn setup... but never tried to access plc or vsd like this before...how can i achieve something like this.. thanks in advance...