New to panelview

jamlmath

I was just hired as an intern, and I've quickly learned the basics of RSLogix, RSView, etc.

My boss gave me a couple PanelView Plus 1000's to tinker with for future applications, but we can't seem to get them programmed. One of them has a white screen upon application run, which I think can be fixed using the autorun.exe trick I found searching earlier, but the second is a mystery. The second one has firmware version 3.20.08.42 (CPR 6), and it keeps giving me an incompatible application version error. I've used the same software (RSView Studio ME 4.00.00) to program both the 1000's and another 1500, which I was able to make work properly.

Can someone steer me in the right direction plz? So far as I know this is the correct program for making the applications, but then again Rockwell's site is poorly designed for finding useful info.
Thanks in advance

[edit] Upon noticing the versions, I found that the 1500 has 4.00, which matches RSView. So I'm guessing we need to downgrade RSView to 3.00, duh

Last edited:
Actually we couldn't get 3.00 RSView to install correctly. Now I remember, so I'll have to try upgrading firmware I suppose.
Didnt think a 3->4 was possible, but I'll check it out. Thanks

As for the blank screen, does anyone know how to boot to the config screen when it's set to autorun an app that has no buttons? This panel was given to us, so whoever had it last goofed.

Last edited:
Panel view plus

Hi

If you plug a USB keyboard into the USB port on the back of the panel view plus and then press the four keys on the bottom left of the key board and then you can stop the project from this window.

Hope this some help to you.

Donnchadh

jamlmath said:
Actually we couldn't get 3.00 RSView to install correctly. Now I remember, so I'll have to try upgrading firmware I suppose.
Didnt think a 3->4 was possible, but I'll check it out. Thanks

You can go from 3.20 to 4.0 by following the firmware upgrade process.

Previously, there were hoops to jump through when going from 3.1 (or earlier) to 3.2, because this firmware upgrade required an upgrade to the Windows CE OS.

When an application loads with a white screen, it is usually because you did not select a startup graphic. In the project tree you click on "startup" and you choose startup macro, graphic and other items that will run when the application starts. Make sure to have a "goto config" button on the startup screen application somewhere for troubleshooting and select the auto run box when transfering to the PV+. Then you can disable the auto run feature from the configuration screen.

When compiling the .mer runtime file the "Save As" window will pop up. You can choose version 3.2 as the file type and that should resolve your issue with versions. Of course, upgrading the firmware according to the proper procedure will probably be better in the long run.

Let me know if this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks to all.

I was able to get one panel upgraded to 4.00, and have running apps on it already.

The other (mr. white screen) is still a mystery. I'm connected to it serially since I can't get the IP off of it. I currently do not have a USB keyboard (thanks for the hint Donn). The panel shows up in RSLinx Enterprise as "1,Computer,Computer", and if I attempt a firmware upgrade it will detect version 3.00, but will not give me upgrade options in the dropdown menu. I'm thinking it's not being recognized correctly?

Checkout the Rockwell Automation KnowledgeBase for answer number 27452. This is a work around for your situation that basically goes in and deletes the existing .mer applications on the terminal.

When it reboots there is an error that pops up because the application it is supposed to run on start up cannot be found. As a result you are taken to the configuration screen. This will allow you to access your IP information and you can also disable the "autorun" feature.

All you need is a CompactFlash card and reader and follow the instructions in this KnowledgeBase document.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/ answer id: 27452

The tip Finski gave should get you to the startup screen. If the Firmware Wizard is correct, and version 3.00.00 is loaded on that panel, you would then need to contact a Rockwell distributor if you want to upgrade the firmware to 4.x.

This requires the WinCE OS update. I believe Rockwell is now charging for this upgrade (it was free when the change occurred approx 2 years ago), but some distributors may still have the necessary disk that they can provide.

I knew about the CompactFlash trick, and I was just able to try it today. It gave me an error saying it could not delete one of the .mer files. My guess is that it's still running this same .mer file on startup (because it still white screens).

After that failed I attempted to make a .mer with the same name and replace it, but Studio errors out when creating anything aside a 4.0 version. I found the answer regarding the error on the knowledgebase, and it didn't solve the problem.

I've booted the panel into the file transfer utility to see the IP and attempt some kind of connection. I tried using the FUW with the IP Connection option; the panel says it has established a connection, then after a few seconds says it has disconnected and reconnects itself. The reconnection freezes up FUW on the computer.

I'M out of ideas >:|

[edit]----------------------------------------------------
OK I was finally able to save the .mer as another version after going thru various painful methods of my own. I replaced the old, undeleteable .mer file with another that has a config screen button and was able to get to my settings. THANK YOU ALL for the input.

Last edited: