Electrical Trouble Shooting

Your best troubleshooting tool is your brain.

The best way that I'm aware of is to find someone who is good at it, then learn from them.

Learn to ask questions like these: Did it work correctly in the past? If so, what has changed? (Install/design problems for something that has never been right are a whole different set of clues than something that's been running for years...)

A big part of electrical troubleshooting is truly understanding how the components work and interact. Learn to read the electrical drawings -- they're your best friend.

Learn to understand the PLC program in a PLC-based machine -- it's one of your best diagnostic tools. And learn that the program didn't "change itself" (You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard that one...)

BUT learn to NOT change to program when working on a program. Sure, you can possibly code a patch to get around the problem, but you haven't fixed it. Writing patch-code will almost always introduce a whole new set of unintended problems.

Learn that most electrical problems are really mechanical problems with electrical symptoms. Motor heaters tripping out are usually mechanical (if the system has been running for awhile and they were properly sized}. A tripped circuit breaker really means something mechanical like a physical connection. A blown fuse should always be replaced with the same size/type of fuse -- that fuse was sized by the designer for a reason and bypassing that design will cause other problems. Always physically check a sensor that "isn't working" because it's probably been moved/bumped.

Study the schematics and figure out how to break down complex machines into its smaller circuits particularly useful in finding ground shorts, Study the different types of motors and its wiring and how to test the stator windings of each type. As well as how to properly size a motor for an application. Seimens has some good articles so does Odva.com Joliettech has some good VFD articles here is a troubleshooting guideline I've come across one good rule is to study each machine in detail including its components and try toi understand why its designed the way it is as well as study the various grounding practices AB has a couple of good articles on its knowledge base http://www.mtecorp.com/support.html this site has some good VFD articles
http://www.pdma.com/oldart.html another one on VFD's

• [*]Adjustable Speed Drives - Application Information <adjustable_speed_drives-application_information.htm>

[*]DC Drives - Principles of Operation <dc_drives_principles_of_operatrion.htm>

[*]DC Drive Types <dc_drive_types.htm>

[*]DC Motor Control Characteristics <dc_motor_control_characteristics.htm>

[*]AC Drives - Principles of Operation <ac_drives_principles_of_operatrion.htm>

[*]AC Controller Types <ac_controller_types.htm>

[*]AC Motor Control Characteristics <ac_motor_control_characteristics.htm>

[*]Motor Selection <motor_selection.htm>

[*]AC vs. DC Drive Comparison <ac_vs_dc_drive_comparison.htm>

[*]Basic Mechanics <basic_mechanics.htm>

[*]Other Application Factors <other_application_factors-measuring_machine_torque.htm>
Measuring Machine Torque <other_application_factors-measuring_machine_torque.htm>

her is some other good articles
Seven-step process

1. [*]Gathering information
    [*]Understanding the malfunction
    [*]Identifying which parameters need to be evaluated
    [*]Identifying the source of the problem
    [*]Correcting/Repairing the component
    [*]Verifying the repair
    [*]Performing root cause analysis
1. Gathering information is a logical first step in any troubleshooting endeavor. The saying "look before you leap" always holds true.

Therefore, ask yourself about or perform the following:

• What technical documentation about the equipment is available?
  • How exactly is the equipment supposed to operate?
  • Are there any previous lessons learned?
  • Review any material history that exists for the equipment.
  • Identify similar equipment to which you can compare the malfunctioning equipment. (This can be especially helpful if there is limited technical data available for the equipment that is malfunctioning.)