SLC-500 communication question

dgarnier

I inherited a SLC500 (fixed) that I'm having a CPU fault on... Anyhow, I have at my disposal both a 1784-PCMK/B card (with a cable for a PLC-5... 1784-PCM5/B) and a 1761-NET-ENIW ethernet interface from other projects.

Is it possible to convert from the DB-9 to the RJ-45 on the PCMK/B. (i.e. make a PCM5/B into a PCM4/B?)

And if not, what is the pinout from the mini DIN-8 to RJ-45 for connecting to the -ENI?

Just a thought...

Can you use a rs232 crossover?

or can you reset the fault by turning the key from run to program then back to run?

disclaimer....I have little to zero experience with a fixed 500

The only comm port on the ancient thing is the RJ-45 which I understand to be a DH-485 port. And, unfortunately, there is no key.

The only thing I've thought to do, but haven't gotten the guts to do is take out the EEPROM, repower it, and then reinstall the EEPROM. I don't know if that would reset it, or just wipe my EEPROM. Luckily, I've since found a paper copy of the ladder, so I can reprogram when I get communication.

Given my resources, it might be cheaper to chuck it and install a ML1500 (of which I already have 5).

If you do that I am the local garbage collector, I collect all old non working plc's etc. Let me know and see if we can work something out.

FWIW, that fixed SLC500 has been obsoleted by AB (i.e., they're out of support...). If you're planning on actually using it in a production environment, you ~might~ want to reconsider and either use one of those ML1500 or get a CompactLogix or a modular SLC5/0x...

Are you sure its not a PIC port?

Mr PLC com make them for cheap. You a need a real com port serial to usb wont work

dgarnier said:
I inherited a SLC500 (fixed) that I'm having a CPU fault on... Anyhow, I have at my disposal both a 1784-PCMK/B card (with a cable for a PLC-5... 1784-PCM5/B) and a 1761-NET-ENIW ethernet interface from other projects.

Is it possible to convert from the DB-9 to the RJ-45 on the PCMK/B. (i.e. make a PCM5/B into a PCM4/B?)

And if not, what is the pinout from the mini DIN-8 to RJ-45 for connecting to the -ENI?

A 1784-PCMK/B card with a 1784-PCM4/B cable will work just fine unless you do have one of the PIC units at hand. Those will also work, not sure if a USB to serial will do the trick though, I bet you need a real serial port to get the PIC unit to work