Siemens 315DP to MP370 Touch Profibus

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I am now struggling to get this connected. Seems the interface is a little quirky.

In Step 7 i have added a profibus network in the netconfig part and it shows a PLC and a line representing the profibus. I have 'zoomed' into the plc part and connected it to the cable, and assingned it to be node 2.

I now need to add the HMI to the network. If I click on Simatic HMI Station by default it is MPI. If I save this, so the new HMI is part of the Step 7 project, the open in Wincc Flex and configure the HMI to be profibus master, node 1, then save it all, reopen netconfig the HMI still only shows up as DP and not profibus.

I am clearly missing somthing obvious and it is driving me mad.

Perhaps I should add a stripped down project on here for someone to look at, let me know

Cheers

I've recently done my first project with WinCC Flexible using a TP177A, I configured the connection to the TP using WinCC via Communication->Connections and did not use NetPro. If I start NetPro it shows the TP177A not connected to MPI or Profibus networks even though it is because I have used it. I connected via MPI and Profibus successfully.

cjd1965 said:
I now need to add the HMI to the network.

Hi
Its not necessary to connect HMI to Dp network in hardware configuration or NetPro.
In this way I had successfull communication with 7 HMI's connected to DP.

It seems that by default CPU detects the HMI's connected to DP bus. This is true with MPI Bus too.
You need to tell CPU number of HMI connected to bus under communication tab of CPU properties window in Hardware Configuration

About the HMI not showing connected to the Profibus network in NetPro:
That IS strange. Check that the HMI's DP port is setup to be connected to the same Profibus network as the PLC (i.e. to "Profibus(1)" for example).

About a HMI working OK even of it is not setup as connected in the STEP7 project:
1st, you can setup an "unspecified" connection, meaning that you specify yourself in the HMI projects such things as PLC station adress, rack and slot.
2nd, the PLC must have a Profibus network configured. Default is "not connected".
3rd, maybe it works with DP slaves on the Profibus network, and a non-configured HMI on the same network. But it is actually hazard to do so. This because you may exceed the Profibus Target Token Rotation Time, and thus cause bus faults. In many cases you may be lucky and never experience any problems, but it is not the proper way.
What manmeetvirdi suggest is to manually make sure that the Target Token Rotation Time takes the extra HMI into account. This is certainly ok to do, but much easier is to just let the HMI be integrated into the same project in the 'normal' way.

Thanks Jesper. For now i have established ethernet comms to upgrade the OS and transfer the project into the HMI.

This is still happening as i type this.

Once that is complete i will see if the HMI is talking to the PLC.

I appear unable to get a 'pass through' to the HMI.

I have a Serial to MPI adaptor plugged into LH port of the 315 2DP, and a profibus cable in the RH port. The cable then loops to port 2 of the HMI and all the HMI dip switches are up in the DP position

I can interogate the PLC perfectly. I will come back with my status later

Cheers

cjd1965 said:
I appear unable to get a 'pass through' to the HMI.
It is called "routing" in the Siemens world. It is possible but not as simple as with AB for example. As you have ethernet and Profibus you dont need it.

You can download to the panel via Profibus. You have to go to the Windows Control Panel, and then enable the MPI/DP port for downloading the project. This is not on by default.
But only do that for having tried it. Ethernet is MUCH faster.

About the DIP switches on the panel:
I dont remember what they have to be set to, but there are two selections: "MPI/DP" and "RS422/RS485" with the position of the switches clearly indicated.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question but where do i set the profibus address of the 315? inside netpro?

Thanks, for some reason my S7 programmer had catalog selection ticked so i didnt even see the CPU etc. I am now trying to get the comms up.

Cheers

Thanks for your help guys i have got it working ok, still got the SF error light on the PLC. The hardware diagnostics all show OB122 (a blank OB i created) as the problem, I understand i need OB122 for profibus comms (OB's 82,85 and 86 also)

So if anyone knows how to kill off the error light please say

Cheers

Delete OB122 in the plc and let it stop - the diagnostic buffer/stacks will then lead you to the problem.