Interveiw questions

Dear All,

I will be apprearing for the interview held for the position of PLC programmer. Even though I have significant knowledge of PLC programming (due to variety of academic projects in PLC programming), I do not have work experience. Therfore, what type of questions should I expect in the interview?

Any help is appreciated.

With regards,

Amit Darwhekar

Hllo darwhekar;

If I can refer to what we want to know when hiring someone for such a position, we will ask (for example):
- to design a latch circuit in Ladder
- to write down a basic motor control cicuit
- to differentiate between source and sink inputs on a PLC
- to discuss the use of an E-stop circuit in a motor application

Basic stuff, independant of any PLC platform, to determine the fundammentals of control that the candidate grasps.

Another very important issue we try to look at when doing an interview: will this candidate fit in our programming teams. Will he feel frustration in doing the preliminaries (electrical drawings, cable lists, hook-up drawings...) until we feel he is ready for the programming part of the job? How useful will he be when commissioning of the plant starts; what are his debugging skills?

Just some starting points, I hope other chime in.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Re

Dear Mr. Chartier,

Thank you very much for the valuable guidance. I appeared for the interview last week. As you suggested, they mostly checked if I am comfortable with using their systems. They also checked my knowledge of start-ups and troubleshooting. Due to your invaluable guidance, I was prepared for these questions and could answer them to the best of my capabilities.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Amit

rsdoran said:
WOW, where are you? Wanna get a coffee?

Amit, This is a proposition that I don't think you should pass up - even if you don't drink coffee!!!!

Being an academic person (I assume without co-op experience - a big NO NO in my book), the amount of knowledge that you can gain from talking to someone who has been there and done that (and still doing that from time to time) is invaluable. Getting to know some one with practical experience is much better than getting a higher degree. Even better, getting to talk with Ron who not only has the practical know-how, but has a tremendous amount of stories (not the fabricated kind but the kind that starts off - I remember one time when ....) could do nothing but help you out. Get him talking about the carnival days, I really enjoyed the thread he had started at one time about his time in that industry.

Dear Mr. Ron,

I stay at Birmingham downtown (South-side).

Furthermore, I'm in complete agreement with the thought expressed by Mr. Chase in his reply to your post on www.plcs.net "Getting to know some one with practical experience is much better than getting a higher degree," and therefore, I'm very much excited to meet you.

I would appreciate if you could give your contact details so that I will be able to contact you to discuss the time and location of the meeting.

Mean while, I have sent you a personal message which describes my contact details.

I highly appreciate the help offered by you and look forward to meet you soon.

Thanks and Regards,

Amit Darwhekar

Last edited:
Regarding the meeting

Dear Mr. Ron,

I had been waiting eagerly for your reply since last week. I understand your busy schedule. However, I would appreciate if you could send me your contact details so that I will be able to contact you to decide meeting location and time.

I highly appreciate your kind consideration.

Sincerely,

Amit Darwhekar