Bool Array of "Bits[320]" or a DINT Array of "Bits[10]" ?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Logix Platform -

I am looking thru some code and noticed the Original programmer had configured a Boolean array with 320 elements.

Isn't this a waste of controller memory? (doesnt it only use 1 bit and the rest are reserved (not available for use)?

Couldnt he have used an DINT array (DINT[10]) and saved all that memory?

Just wondering what is the prefferd and the smart way to do this.

Individual bits are used as conditional controls in the logic.

No - the boolean array is packed as you would want into 32 bit words occupying the same memory as the DINT[10] you proposed. A single BOOL variable, on the other hand, would occupy only one bit out of a 32 bit area. One must also be careful when declaring UDT's. It is best to declare all BOOL variables first and together so that they are appropriately packed.

Thanks Bernie,

I see what you mean. I was confused. It only wastes 31 bits if you use a Bool tag. But same is not true when using an array of Bools.

Thanks again.