Output/Input bits

I believe it means you have an Analog Output with 8 bits of resolution.

8 bits means that your full scale of output is either -128 to 127 (Or is it -127 to 128?) or 0 to 255. The more resolution it has, the finer tuned the analog signal can be. 10V/256 (8 bits) is less resolution than 10V/65536 (16 bits).

Edit:

Just to explain where those numbers came from. The bits are how many bits of binary are used for the output.
8 bits of binary is 2^8 = 256.
16 bits of binary is 2^16 = 65536

Last edited:
Tharon said:
I believe it means you have an Analog Output with 8 bits of resolution.

8 bits means that your full scale of output is either -128 to 127 (Or is it -127 to 128?) or 0 to 255. The more resolution it has, the finer tuned the analog signal can be. 10V/256 (8 bits) is less resolution than 10V/65536 (16 bits).

Edit:

Just to explain where those numbers came from. The bits are how many bits of binary are used for the output.
8 bits of binary is 2^8 = 256.
16 bits of binary is 2^16 = 65536

so more bits meens biger precision of measurement and controling?

Yes.

But it also depends on the accuracy of the devices you are using for your input and output. A system is only as accurate as your least accurate device.

nightex said:
so more bits meens biger precision of measurement and controling?

Don't confuse resolution with accuracy.

Accuracy is the difference between the "right" value and the actual value. A lot of things influence this, and I've seen 12 bit and 16 bit I/O that had a lot of drift and error.

Resolution is the number of decimal places or digits in the display. It isn't the same as accuracy. You can display a wrong answer to 20 decimal places.

And look at the resolution required. 1/256 = 0.4% If you have a 1% accurate sensor or a valve positioner that is ±2% (which some are) then additional resolution probably won't give more accurate results.