RSview Active Display Server & Client Configuration

plcnovel

Hi All
I am having a lot of problems in configuraing the Active display server & Client. I have two HMI computers , one is linked with CLX through OPC and have Active Display Server running on it,The second computer is not physically connected with controlnet network, and have Active display Dedicated client installed on it. Two concerns i am having right now:

1 - Physical connection: I have hooked up client PC with the Server PC through a crossover RJ45 cable and assigned both PCs an IP addresses. I can ping them from each other with no problem.
2 - SOftware configuration: I have run the server from my HMI project on server PC and its running as well. Everytime i try to connect the client pc with the server, it gives me a error messages , saying "Unable to connect <Computer_name>, Class is not registered or something like that"

My questions are how would i set up the client server architecture, physically as well as configuration wise. I have never done this before so please help me out in this regard

Thankks in advance

Hi All
I have tried every single thing possible to make Active display server and client to communicate with each other but no luck sofar. Please help me out in this situation it is really getting frustating for me? Following are the few things i tried to make this RAD system serve client technology work:

1- Ping server from client computer SUCCESSFUL
2- Ping client from Server computer SUCCESSFUL
3- Ping server computer name from client's computer SUCCESSFUL
4- Ping client computer name from server's computer SUCCESSFUL
5- Tried to open the default page for Rsview32 from client's computer NO SUCCESS, it keeps on telling me that i dont have permission to do so.
6- Tried to go through RAD client window, it tried to connect and then ask me the password and user name , when i put the required info, it gives me a error message "URL Failed to download, please check your server settings, make sure IIS and web services are running on the server computer"
This last step is my stuck point, I tried using windows security center to synchronise my rsview32 username and password but no help, it still asked me the password and user name on client window. One thing that i do not understand is what password and username it asked me? Is it the rsview32 project username and password or is it the windows password? I have tried both and none of them works? Also when even though i have two accounts in Rsview32 project, but everytime i run the project, it never prompts me for the password. May be i am doing wsomething wrong....

Please help me out i am completely lost in it. Thanks in advance

you need to install some windows xp pro extras off your windows installation disk. Its something called IIS (internet information services).
Install this onto you ads server
Then you need to edit DCOM settings in windows to full access for user anonymous logon.
I had all this a year ago and this sorted me out, Rockwell offer little support for you on this matter. When you do this for some reason you lose the ability to change the pc's ip address as it no longer recognises you as the administrator so set it first.

ryan100980 said:
you need to install some windows xp pro extras off your windows installation disk. Its something called IIS (internet information services).
Install this onto you ads server
Then you need to edit DCOM settings in windows to full access for user anonymous logon.
I had all this a year ago and this sorted me out, Rockwell offer little support for you on this matter. When you do this for some reason you lose the ability to change the pc's ip address as it no longer recognises you as the administrator so set it first.

Thanks Ryan for your reply. I have this Internet Information Services running on the server side. Please tell me how can i change the DCOM settings on windows......Do i have to change the DCOM settings on both the client and the server pcs or just on the server pc. What specifically i have to do in DCOM settings.

Thanks a lot

Hey Guys the more time i spending on to this problem the more problems i am getting into it(on field). I am not the expert of Active display client server system and i am using it for the first time. I am still not able to connect the client with the server, but in addition to that, i ran into more problems. Now the Server PC, does not let me do any changes in IIS services in Administartive tools. It messages me that "your rights to do this are disabled on this machine etc " Even though i am logged on as a Administrator on my computer.

Please help me out in this as i am really getting frustrated....

I had the same message when trying to set up a SE stand alone app.

I had went into the Factory Talk Administrator Console and added myself as a user. What I didn't do was give myself administrator rights under group membership. Once I did that everything worked fine.

But i didnt do anything like that, i never went into Factory Talk Consule. All i did was to change some of the DCOM settings....and after that i started having this problems. How can i make this server/client system work?????plz

Have you called Allen-Bradley for help or searched the knowledgebase for answers. They have a page of notes about server client setup. There are also some notes about IIS.

If IIS is not installed, install IIS 5.0 from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Create a new user account (with Administrator rights) and then login to the computer using this new account. Use this new account to install RSView SE. If the RSView SE Install program does not display the error message then there is a problem with the existing Windows profile of the previous user account.
If there is a problematic user's Windows profile, the profile can be deleted but note that all customized shortcut settings, desktop setting, favourites etc. for this user account will be lost. A Windows user's profile can be deleted by logging on as another user with Administrator rights, right-clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then selecting the User Profiles tab. Select the User Profile and click Delete.
Problem: IIS version 5.0 or greater must be installed

Hi Mark, IIS is installed and running and i am even able to ping client server computers as well. Also its not rsview SE it is Rsview32 with Active display server and client. I tried to logon with a differnet user with full rights but no luck at all. I think i done some thing wrong in DCOm settings .......but really cant troubleshoot it. I can not call to rockwell as i am sitting in no mans land, on field......

I check the topics in the knowledgebase for DCom. there are a few tech notes there and one of these might apply to you.

Under the knowledgebase select (Searh by Product)
> HMI (Visualization) and then RSView as a subtopic, then do a search on DCOM.

These tech notes might apply.

I have had to leave a plant before, go back to hotel and call Allen-Bradley.

ID 6995 - DCOM Configuration Requirements for RSLinx Gateway Remote OPC.
ID 8558 - Recommendations for configuring default network protocols available to DCOM.
ID 33126 - Registry key for troubleshooting DCOM issues.
ID 34423 - Excel client not able to gather data from RSView32 data server when running on WindowsXP SP2.The DCOM entry for RSView32 OPC Tag Server does not allow Launch or Activation.