hello all

I have 3 5/04 connected to a DH+ network , we need to connect
to ethernet for diagnostics the system have a 1784-ktx card
connected to a computer for interface my question is
do I have to connect the computer to ethernet
or I have to add a ethernet module for each plc

any help would be great.

thank on advance .

You can view all of your SLC's from one PCMK card on DH+. It is no different than viewing one. Just make sure they are all different node addresses

I think you want connect all plcs to the PC through ethernet you need Net Eni this unit converts the Df1 to ethernet.

1784-ktx is used to connect PLC in the DH+ network to the PC

Net ENI cards work well. Also think about getting a CLX chasis with a Enet card and a DHRIO. I believe AB packages this as a bridge.

Run the DH+ nework and then Ethernet to the other card. You can drill down through RSLinx to all the DH+ nodes. I am doing this in my lab now. It works great.

12 PC's on an ethernet switch along with the 1756Enet. 10 SLC 504's and a PLC5/15 on the DH+. Any PC can talk to any PLC.

DHplus.JPG

This screen shot shows the SLC's.

Last edited:
The system is under construction, so the unrecognized Enet divices are the PC's that are not on. Also station names are from last semester, I have not bothered to change these yet. The PLC 5 was not connected when I got the screen shot.

Last semester with only three PLC's connected bandwidth was not an issue. I'll know more by the end of the summer.

We have the "bridges" in a couple of installations. They are extremely easy to setup and work well. Only problem is you can't drill down to something on a serial port from a 5/04 when on the Ethernet network, if you are on the DH+ then you can.
icon14.gif

What versions (Gateway, OEM, Pro) of RSLinx are needed to work?

We have an unused setup similar to your diagram (CLX chassis with Enet & DHRIO) except no SLCs but PLC5s and AB drives. It was used by an outside company for monitoring in the past.

My boss wants to be able to access these devices, at least the PLCs, remotely. Either in a MCC room or via the LAN that connects to the switch the Enet is connected to. The PLCs and drives are all out on the factory floor.
My guess Linx Lite may not work?

John

RSLinx Classic Lite does work for simple tasks like going online to program. However, if you want to use OPC or DDE you may have to step up. In the past Linx Pro or better was required for OPC/DDE. I am using 2.50.00.20 (CPR7)

I am not sure now what version of Linx you will need.. Part of the problem is that I have a educational software package that has everything. My desktop is running RSLinx Gateway for no particular reason. Other machines on the network are running older versions of Linx Lite. (They will soon be upgraded.)

As long as bandwidth does not become a problem, this is a great set up. It is simple, and it separates the IT guys from the control network. There is no need for an expensive KTX card for each PC, nor is there a need for all that extra blue hose running from PC to PC. I am planning to add a Control Net card, and a drive or two (powerflex.)

back to the original question

If you already have a PC with a KTX card and it is connected to your 5/04's on a DH+ network, then you are half way there. You will need to connect this PC to your network and purchase a copy of RSLINX GATEWAY. This will allow anyone who has a computer on the same network and is running a copy of RSLinxLITE or better to use this PC to access your DH+ network.

Another option is to place your KTX PC on the network and use a VNC or Remote Desktop style connection to take over control of the said PC from where ever you would like.

I have used both methods to control an assembly line that is 700 miles away at one of our other facilities. Both have their advantages but the second option is much cheaper if you are just planning on doing some remote programming.