ControlLogix + Dataliner (DL50) communications

JHarris

Lifetime Supporting Member
We recently completed a typical PLC5 to ControlLogix upgrade, but our DL50 does not function properly. I think the message format or serial port settings are incorrect. The latest result is a few messages display, then the DL50 blanks out and stops responding. Any ideas?

Other information:
The DL50 worked with PLC5 RS232 port. We are using a RS232/485 converter. I checked the wiring and the converter is functioning. The only change hardware-wise is swapping the serial cable to mate with the L63 (9pin) instead of the PLC 5/40 (25pin).

There is one knowledgebase article (ID 20293), however, they left out the serial port configuration. I've tried quite a few configurations based on the manuals and above article, still no luck.

If you have a working example, could you please post the AWT/AWA logic and serial port configuration from your controller properties to compare?

Thanks!

Justin

update

Figured out it's the second message that's apparently crashing the DL50. The first message appears fine. The second message sent clears the display, after which, the DL50 does not respond. Various strings gave the same results. Anyone still use these antiques?

JHarris said:
Figured out it's the second message that's apparently crashing the DL50. The first message appears fine. The second message sent clears the display, after which, the DL50 does not respond. Various strings gave the same results. Anyone still use these antiques?

Make sure all the ASCII parameters for the PLC5 comm's port are matched in the Clgx's comm port settings