RS232 Alternatives

Bolt

I need to link a few IDEC MicroSmart's to a PC. They do not need to be linked at once, I can plug them in seperately if needed. What are my alternatives to regular RS232 setups? I have a PC with easy wiring access to get a serial cable to it, but I'd rather not have the program on this PC. Is it possible to access the serial port via another computer on the network? What about serial adapters to ethernet? Do they work, are they hard to get setup right? I am trying to avoid buying a $300 ethernet server for the PLC's. What are you guys doing for some of your setups?

Bolt,

You could use the RedLion DataStation Plus LE model to talk to your PLC's over RS-232 and then use the Ethernet port on the DataStation Plus to talk to your PC. Places like Digi make a PortServer device that can also be used.

Joe_WaZoo

Would some of the cheaper versions of the same type work too? I don't know if there is anything different as far as functioning goes between a $65 one and a $500 one.

WOW, again I have to be....

What exactly are you wanting to do? Any advice at this stage is meaningless because noone knows what you need/want to do OR what devices you are working with, makes a difference.

LOL, $300 anything is fairly inexpensive in this biz.

Last edited:
lantronics (try google) make ethernet to serial converters, have used them in the past to cover large distances (larger than RS232 limits anyway) using Ethernet and then "pop out" as serial to communicate to small PLC's, power quality meters etc. As far as price goes, you get what you pay for, they arn't the cheapest but they work well.

Yeah I know 300 is getting to be cheap, but even after investing a few million, that kinda stuff will still nickel and dime you to death.

Anyways, I'm trying to link 2 IDEC MicroSmart PLC's to a computer (desktop), about 50-75 feet away by the time you get the cable run. I don't need them to be hooked up simultaniously.

The reason I was asking, is that I've seen them in all sorts of sizes and price ranges, ones from the size of a small microwave, down to not larger than a RJ45 connector. Just wondering what all the differences were, and how hard they are to interface between the PLC/desktop.

for a few examples.
1: Set up a scada system to communicate to a Modbus TCP/IP device because we need to run fibre between PC and PLC. Poped out of fibre at PLC converted from fibre to cat5 then cat5 to serial everything just worked fine no real problems.
2: PC (serial) to Ethernet converter thru company lan to ethernet converter and back to serial. In this case both units "believed" they were communicating rs232. The trick (in our case at least) was use the same manufacturer for ALL converters. from memory all the gear on this one was from Black Box catalogue. As far as size goes most of the ones I have used have been about the size of cigarette packet with external power pack. I prefer the larger units with power supply built in, lees prone to bumpage.
Don't know if my ramblings helped but what the heck.

If that is too pricy i have a solution involving a turnswitch for the SD pin on the plc.s if you switch it you can talk to every plc.
use xon/xoff as protocol.
In old days we made networks with this setup. connecting pc's long before internet.
it was using a small relay in the connector and that was controlled by RTS.

> You could use the RedLion DataStation Plus LE model to talk to
> your PLC's over RS-232 and then use the Ethernet port on the
> DataStation Plus to talk to your PC.

Probably over-the-top for this app. There are cheaper devices out there if you're just looking for a serial to Ethernet converter...

Bolt said:
Anyways, I'm trying to link 2 IDEC MicroSmart PLC's to a computer (desktop), about 50-75 feet away by the time you get the cable run.

So just run the darn RS-232 cable. Ya trying to make this complicated or what ? :)

If you're worried about electrical noise, use some EDDC - Extended Distance Data Cable from Black Box.

Well there's not really a way to get to the computer in question by cable anymore. The conduit is about full with Cat5's and telephone lines. The desk's out in the middle of the office and everything feeding it is underground. I've got a serial/ethernet adapter coming, then I can just plug it into the network and hopefully get it going.

Thanks for all the resposnses so far, always good to get some conversation going. Thanks.

for a few examples.
1: Set up a scada system to communicate to a Modbus TCP/IP device because we need to run fibre between PC and PLC. Poped out of fibre at PLC converted from fibre to cat5 then cat5 to serial everything just worked fine no real problems.
2: PC (serial) to Ethernet converter thru company lan to ethernet converter and back to serial. In this case both units "believed" they were communicating rs232. The trick (in our case at least) was use the same manufacturer for ALL converters. from memory all the gear on this one was from Black Box catalogue. As far as size goes most of the ones I have used have been about the size of cigarette packet with external power pack. I prefer the larger units with power supply built in, lees prone to bumpage.
Don't know if my ramblings helped but what the heck.
What is external power pack. I have no idea about this things. I worked in a cigarette lighter company they have so many different power section but i am not familiar with them. I think you will help me to find this answer.

It is a little late after 7 years to be worrying about the power pack. In any case it was not a power pack for a cigarette ligther!