Logix 5000 and TR Electronics Enconder

Hello everyone,

I have installed a TR Electronics Encoder in a Logix 5000 system using DeviceNet. What I have working:

1. Encoder is in the network and in the scanner's scanlist.

What I don't have working:

1. Messages between the 2.

Has anyone here configured a MSG between the 2 succesfully? I will appreciate any help you guys can give me.

PS. The encoder is a CE-65-M CAN-BUS

What do you mean by "Messages between the two" ? Do you mean an I/O connection, or an explicit message connection ?

If you have a configured by unsuccessful I/O connection, the 1756-DNB will be alternating the node # and the error code.

What exactly did you configure for the I/O connection type and data sizes ?

This is what I did:

I added the TR Encoder to my DeviceNet network. it is using node 03. My 1756-DNB/A is using Node 00, and the rest of my network is composed of 7 FRABA encoders.

The TR Encoder uses 4 byts of I/O which are now added to the scanner and working.

What I have been trying to do is change the parameters of the TR Encoder from the Logix5000. With the FRABA I use the MSG instruction, using a Message Type "CIP Generic" to send messages to the encoder and set a few of it's parameters.

I tried this approach with the TR Encoder but it is not working
. I get this error in return:

Error Code: 16#0016 Extended Error Code: 16#0000_00ff
Error Path: _01B, 2, 3
Error Text: Unknown Error Occurred

I know the path is correct becuase the FRABA encoders use them same path, the only difference would be the last number, to match the node number.

I hope this clarifies a little bit what I am trying to do.

What, precisely, are the parameters of the MSG instruction you are trying to send ?

Can you post a link to the EDS file for this encoder ?

If you have the CIP Path correct, it sounds to me like the encoder is rejecting the service code, either because it's not addressed to a valid object, or because that object can't be changed in the current state. I don't have a table of error codes that would explain the Error 0x16 code.

I'm going to bump this again for the morning croud.

BTW, the parameter I am trying to change is Parameter ID 18, which is the "Adjust Absolute Value".

Thank You.

Last edited:
I've gone through the user manual again, and I've found some information.

The manual says it's instance 42, so I guess I will use that number for my CIP Generic.

The bytes I am trying to read/write are 38 - 41. But the user manual never mentions the Class (hex) nor the attribute (hex).

Is there a way to calculate those 2 parameters with the information I already have?

From the EDS file it looks like the TR Encoder uses the very ordinary Parameter Object (Class 0x0F).

Param18= $ Adjust Absolute Value
0, $ Data Placeholder
6,"20 0f 24 12 30 01 ", $ Path size and Path to Drehrtg
0x20, $ Descriptor
9, 4, $ Data Type and Size
"Adjust Absolute Value", $ Name
"", $ Units (not used)
"Adjust encoder to desired position value.\n" $ Help
"An adjustment should only be taken after\n"
"'successful' programming and Data Check.\n"
"After adjustment no Data Check is necessary.",
0,16777215,0, $ min, max, default values
1, 1, 1, 0, $ mult, div, base, offset scaling
0, 0, 0, 0, 0 ; $ scaling links and precision

You should be able to use the Set Attribute Single service to Class 0x0F, Instance 0x12, Attribute 0x01 to set this 4-byte value.

Remember that in RSLogix 5000 the Instance number is in decimal, so use Instance 0x12 (hex) = 18 (decimal).

Please be very specific when you post questions. You posted the EDS file for the other encoder, which only describes five parameters, but did not post the specific Service/Class/Instance/Attribute values that work correctly in the Logix CIP Explicit Message.

If you're going to cite the manual, post a link to it as well, please.

Thank you very much for your help. I am sorry about the lack of information.

The other encoder uses:

Instance: 1
Class: 23
Attribute: 2c

This is for the Preset attribute.

Dear Friends i too had a similar problem. I connectes CEV58M in logix 5000 thru devicenet n/w. Earlier was got faulty. We replaced it with new one but on connecting the readings are abrupt. Can you plz advice how to program TR Encoder CEV58M-00131. I can see the device with actual node address in the network list without any fault. But its feedback values are changing frequently. Can you plz suggest how to configure it?