Communicating using a Slc/503and a SMS 10

G
I need to send B3 bits to an SMS 10. I'm trying to use the buttons on a PANEL VIEW 550 to jog the motor back and forth. I'm having trouble under standing how to write the ladder to send B3:10 when I used B3:0 in the DATA TABLE ADDRESS. Could some one please send me a ladder sample to get me started. I will be using the bits as IO_BOOLEAN in AML. If I have not give enough information let me know and I will try to give you what you need. Thanks for your time

BOYD_MAN

What is an SMS 10?
How are you attempting to transfer the data?...MSG, BTR/BTW???
What is IO_BOOLEAN in AML?

Is my ignorance showing again?

BTW you write the ladder the same as you would using hardware devices, in this case the bits will act the same as an input. Much of this type programming depends on the PV to be properly programmed.

SMS10

OK First the SMS10 is a type of controller more on the PC side. It uses a language called AML, it is a lot like Visual Basic . This I believe both are put out by a company called SANYO DENKI. It is used to controll servo and stepper drives. There web site is www.MotionOnline.com. IO_BOOLEAN is a way to let the program know you want it to look at the B3 bit as on are off.I will be using the MSG instruction in RS Logic to communicate with. This is the part I cant figure out.In the data table address box i put B3:0 but how do pass say B3:3 thrugh the B3:0. I hope this helps and thanks for taking the time to help me.

BOYD_MAN

Hi Boyd_man

I have no experience on SMS 10 controller, but if you want to jog the motor forward through the panelview,

first put 2 momentary switches on the panelview with say address, B3:0/10 and B3:0/11. Then follow the ladder shown below for the sequences for your motor. Do add enough interlocks before jog forward and backward

lad.gif

Chavak the task I’m trying to accomplish is to send the B3:0/10 and B3:0/11 to the SMS10 with the MSG instruction using DF1 . The SMS10 can under stand when the bit turns on and off. I cant figure out how to write the program in RS Logic to send the bits because the MSG instruction only ask for one bit to write.
Do I have to add a new MSG instruction for every bit I send?

BOYD_MAN

I read a little on the SMS-10 today, particularly the user manual starting at page 4-62 where it explains the ABCOMM driver. Their documentation is only okay... I am pretty well versed in A-B DF1 messaging and I would still have questions after reading that chapter.

What would be great is if you posted the actual AML language declarations for the A-B style address you want to use.

I presume that because you're trying to use an MSG instruction in the SLC that you're treating these memory locations as "internal". The SMS10 is just going to wait for a SLC to write to it, instead of going out and sending messages to SLCs.

You can read all about the MSG instruction in the RSLogix 500 online help, or in the SLC Instruction Reference manual.

The MSG instruction requires three different memory address arguments:

1. Control Block. This is an Integer (N) file that the SLC controller uses to store the addressing and status info of the MSG command. Be sure that this memory file and range are unique to each MSG instruction in your program.

2. Local Data Table Address (This Controller): If you're programming a Write, this is the source in your SLC memory for the information to be written. If you're programming a Read, this is the target for the information that will be read.

3. Remote Data Table Address (Target Device): This is the memory address affected in the controller that is the target of this MSG. In your case, this is the memory address that you defined with your AML declarations.

The SLC-500 message instruction can only write a full 16-bit Word at a time. Although you have defined just two bits of the Word in your AML program, the SMS10 is going to have to accept a write of the whole Word.

If your PanelView is writing to bits contained in your SLC's data table as B3:3/10 and B3:3/11, then your Local Data Table Address will be B3:3 in the MSG instruction. That's File type "B", File number 3, Word number 3.

Because you defined your ABCOMM elements as B3:0/10 and B3:0/11, you will enter B3:0 as your Target Device data table.

The number of Word elements is just 1, so enter 1 for the "number of elements".

Next we can deal with the fact that the SMS10 only supports half-duplex DF1 mode... post how you've set up the SMS10 comm port and I can post back how you should set up the SLC-500 Channel 0 serial port.

DECLARE fjog("ABSLC500%10/B3:0/10") IO_BOOLEAN

DECLARE rjog("ABSLC500%10/B3:0/11") IO_BOOLEAN

I should also mention we already have the SMS10 set up on another machine communicating with a SLC 503 it was done by a outside company
and it only send Integers.I can write ladder pretty good but I dont have a clue where to start when using the MSG instruction. Again thank you all for the time you are taking to help me

I think I just realized what you are saying. Are you saying that when I assign N7:0 to the Control Block and B3:0 to the Data Table Address in the Target Device anytime I enable the MSG instruction it will send B3:0/0-16 in the state there in at that time to the target device?

You may want to wait for confirmation for Eddie, but what you've 'realized' sounds about right.

You send the whole WORD (bits 0-15) over to the SMS with the MSG instructions. You can then read whatever individual bits you're interested in, within the SMS program.

At least it sounds logical... :D

beerchug

-Eric

You're right about spot on, Boyd. It's a little confusing that people sometimes use the same addresses in the local and remote controllers. It doesn't matter what your source address is (of course it has to contain the right data) as long as the destination address is the correct one defined in your SMS10.

Now about that Channel 0 serial port. You're going to have to change some things from default to match your SMS10 settings.

Especially you're going to want to change that COM2 port on your SMS10 from RS-422 (I'm amazed it supports that) to RS-232.

You have to set the SLC serial port to the correct baud rate, framing, error checking, and protocol (DF1 Half-Duplex Master).

[attachment]

df1_forsms10.gif

Your MSG instruction also has to be addressed to the correct DF1 Node Address. In your SMS10 configuration it shows 10 (decimal) as the node number for that device, so it has to be the target address (in decimal, again) defined in your MSG instruction block.