A-B 1784-PCIC Controlnet Interface Card

cshaley

I've got a CLX system with a controlnet network. I need to pull some tag values out of the PLC, crunch some numbers with a proprietary piece of C++ software, and then plug the values back into the PLC. I figure there's two ways to do this. I could use OPC through RSLinx, or install a 1784-PCIC card in the PC. I've read that OPC may not be ideal for applications where speed could be an issue, so I'm leaning towards the 1784-PCIC option. We also have an ethernet module, so I guess that's also an option. The datasheet for the 1784-PCIC claims "the ability to write your own data collection application in Visual Basic, C++, etc. using the RSLinx standard API." I have RSLinx Professional, will I have to buy a Software Development Kit to gain access to the API? I would hope there's some documentation and code samples for using the API, but I can't tell from the datasheet. Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on using the 1784-PCIC, or any general comments on what I'm trying to accomplish.

By the way, I also looked at this card: http://213.130.34.122/pdf/en/SST_CN-Cards.pdf, but I haven't had any luck even getting a quote from them.

If you do a search for "Control Logix OCX" or "Control Logix ActiveX" you will comes across a number of companies which have software activeX controls for Allen Bradley PLC's including Control Logix. They will allow you to read and write values to and from Control Logix using Visual Basic or C++ apps without using RSLinx. Here are a couple of links. I'm sure there are more.

Automated Solutions, Inc. (ActiveX Controls)http://www.automatedsolutions.com/

Ingeardrivers.com http://www.ingeardrivers.com/ab_activex/ab_activex.htm

Also I personnally don't think the controlnet card will be any better than using ethernet. I would start will ethernet and if that doesn't work then try controlnet.

Hope this is of some help.
Kim

Last edited:
Personally, I'd be more inclined to try the ethernet route for data collection. Life will be much simpler...

And if you're having trouble getting a quote on the piece of hardware, are you trying the right source?? The IP address in the link you included is in the UK. They're probably not interested in selling something to you in OK.

You can find their local distributor by contacting them via the info on the Woodhead website. (Contact-Us Link.)