AB Point I/O Modules

dogleg43

Just curious to know how other AB distributors are selling AB 1734-xx point I/O modules.

I need to buy only one output module to add to an existing project. Unfortunately my distributor says the minimum # they will sell me is ten modules because that's how AB sells them. My price is about $50 each.

So E-bay here I come. Either I'll buy one online or buy 10 from the distributor and sell the other 9 online somewhere.

I would get in touch with a new distributor immediately!

I can buy 1 or as many as I like from my people. Seems like your distributor is being a little over zealous with a minimum of 10.

MartB said:
I would get in touch with a new distributor immediately!

I can buy 1 or as many as I like from my people. Seems like your distributor is being a little over zealous with a minimum of 10.
I fully agree. In a pinch, good distributors will dis-member demonstration units for drastically-needed parts to keep a good customer happy.

Likewise, just because some items come from the factory in ten-packs doesn't mean they have to be sold to the end user that way. We're not talking about buying chicken wings in a bar on Tuesday night here. (Although that does sound good right now.)

dogleg43 said:
Just curious to know how other AB distributors are selling AB 1734-xx point I/O modules.

I need to buy only one output module to add to an existing project. Unfortunately my distributor says the minimum # they will sell me is ten modules because that's how AB sells them. My price is about $50 each.

So E-bay here I come. Either I'll buy one online or buy 10 from the distributor and sell the other 9 online somewhere.

What part of Indiana are you in/near?
I recently moved from Evansville and I had some good distributors there (would even lend out equipment when needed).

It's true that A-B packages POINT modules in boxes of ten. Some smaller distributors don't have a lot of customers buying POINT and are hesitant to stock something they don't think they can sell right away.

That's short-sighted, in my opinion. The whole point of a stocking distributor is so that a retail customer can purchase without needing to buy wholesale quantities.

If these are $50 modules, they are ordinary discrete I/O and not fancy ASCII or analog. Tell them to buck up and/or call your Rockwell office and complain (nicely).