Simple HMI Question

wmoy

Hello all,

My goal is to first create a data array, consisting of two columns and ten rows, that can be read into a trend and plotted in an x-y format, reading the first column as the x values and the second column as the y values.

I am using RSViewSE and RS Logix 5000. I am trying to understand how RSView uses HMI tags. Any help or insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

My apologies if this is a simple question...this is my first experience with PLC's.

wmoy said:
Hello all,

My goal is to first create a data array, consisting of two columns and ten rows, that can be read into a trend and plotted in an x-y format, reading the first column as the x values and the second column as the y values.

I am using RSViewSE and RS Logix 5000. I am trying to understand how RSView uses HMI tags. Any help or insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

My apologies if this is a simple question...this is my first experience with PLC's.

I'm not entirely sure what your question is, or I'm just not understanding you.

RSView uses tags to manipulate data just as Logix 5000 does. What you are proposing to do is perfectly feasable, and RSView already has trending options that you may find useful.

You might want to expand on what information you are needing to help you accomplish your goal.

And welcome to the forum!

HMI question

Thanks for the response Mark.

My question stems from my lack of experience with this particular format. Can you explain to me how RSView reads in data? I am having a difficult time creating some kind of matrix (I think I'm supposed to create a dataArray?), and then from there, I do not understand how to plot data in an X-Y graph from HMI tags.

I think the best way that someone can help me would be to explain how the trend operation works, and how to best plot data. Eventually I will be acquiring data from a PLC and I will need to plot that in real time, but I want to understand the basics first.

it would probably be easier if you could collect the data with some type of database then query it by timestamp and value to build your charts. then you could go further back in time. That is what I do instead of trying to build an array and store all the data in the plc.

Thanks ghriver.

I have been able to collect the data and enter it into a database (like excel), however I want the PLC to store the data so that I can create an HMI that evaluates the data in real time. Is it possible to build an array in the PLC, and how would I go about doing that?

I am assuming you are using a controllogix processor. You can create a multi-dimensional array and propagate the data into it. Then you will need to use the tag for your datapoints. I havent used rsview before but I understand it can be done.
createtag.JPG

I am using a Logix 5563 unit, which I am assuming to be a control logix processor. Where can I find the "select data type" dialog box in the PLC environment? Also, the purpose of using RSView is to create an HMI that will be able to graph the data that is being stored in the PLC.

Does you know where I can find more information about RSView? The online help is not very clear and hardly gives any examples.

You are referring to the PLC correct? From there it just seems like a simple task of creating the pens in the Trend object in RSView to the multi-dimensional array created in the PLC. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.