Anyone want to quote this?

mrtweaver

I was wondering with all the knowledge that there is in this forum I was wondering if anyone would be interested in writing code for the following job and if there would be any cost involved.

We have a slot barcode reader it will be attached to a PC thru the serial port. Its output is an ascii string. What we would like is a simple piece of software that will take this string and compare it to a database in the SQL server. If the scanned code matches one of the ones inthe database it will set an output which will allow us to trip a solonoid which will allow the door to be operated.

There may even be software already out there I just have not been able to locate it. So any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day.

Its not that difficult but it can be depending on your system.

What type of PLC are you talking?
What database here, are we talking AS400?

Its not a PLC it is a PC. It will be a dell. The database it will be communicating with with be Microsoft SQL. If you want further information please feel free to personal email me on here and I will give my contact information.

Mark Buskell said:
Its not that difficult but it can be depending on your system.

What type of PLC are you talking?
What database here, are we talking AS400?

mrtweaver said:
We have a slot barcode reader it will be attached to a PC thru the serial port. Its output is an ascii string. What we would like is a simple piece of software that will take this string and compare it to a database in the SQL server. If the scanned code matches one of the ones inthe database it will set an output which will allow us to trip a solonoid which will allow the door to be operated.

Is this a new system? If not, what type of output card are you using?

What type of budget do you have?

My company does a lot of this type of work. We have an office in the Michigan area and one in the Toronto, Ontario area.

Yes it is a new system. we normally have a door that enters into our production area unlocked but due to problems we have had with estranges spouces, jelous boy/girl friends, etc. we want to make the door coded so that only those employees who are valid can enter the production floor. Our SQL server contains all the information we have at our plant. it contains all time clock infomration, all worker id's, schedules, everything. So we thought since we use the cards already at the time clock and we know this slot card reader works quite well why not incorporate the two. Put this slot card reader on a PC and put a program in place that will take this ascii string from the slot card reader and compare it with the database. If it is valid buzz the solonoid which unlatches the door and allow entry. The solonoid is already in place and we have a manual override just in case and it is contained in an office. Now all we need to do is make it work with this card reader idea. Does that clear things up?

Killercal said:
Is this a new system? If not, what type of output card are you using?

What type of budget do you have?

My company does a lot of this type of work. We have an office in the Michigan area and one in the Toronto, Ontario area.

We have such a system in operation for our maintenance stores, to enable only authorised presonnel to enter. We use a Mitsubishi fx coupled to a barcode reader all the ascci codes are writen into the FX which fires the output to the solenoid and allows entry if a match is found. I can give you all the details if required you can PM me for more details if required.

This is a very simple programming task. One question is what did you want to use for an output from the PC?

I have done similar things by using the parallel port on the PC and connect it to a solid state relay. This has to be done because the parallel output is only 5VDC with a very low current capability.

Which version of SQL server?

I could probably do this for you in the range of a few hundred dollars.

Currently we are running Microsoft SQL 2000 but our IT staff has recently sent an email informing us that they will be upgrading to 2005 in the near future.

As for the out put, one of two way we were looking at was either using the parallel port such as what you mention or by purchasing a PCI based card which will do the same thing. My favorite way would be use the hardware already on the PC and using the parallel port.

As for the ease of it, I do agree that it is easy if you know the code and the commands. One of my problems is when I attended college many moons ago the programming language I took was ASM. I thought that this was the way of the future. I mean it is logical it is based off the same logic the microprocessor uses, I thought this has to be the way of the future. Looking back I should have taken Pascal, VB and C. But alas I did not. Now if we were to go back to like Commodore 64 or 8086 I could probably write a program that would do such a task but it would be asm. But with all the advances made in PC's there are a lot of things I just dont know about any longer. Now with a PLC that is different. I can make them sing. Anyway that is how come I can not at this time write the code.

Archie said:
This is a very simple programming task. One question is what did you want to use for an output from the PC?

I have done similar things by using the parallel port on the PC and connect it to a solid state relay. This has to be done because the parallel output is only 5VDC with a very low current capability.

Which version of SQL server?

I could probably do this for you in the range of a few hundred dollars.

I guess I probably should have said that it was easy and straight forward for someone that programs PC's all the time.

If you could send me a partial copy of the database, I only need to see the table structure and a couple sample records, then I could put something together for you that would work on a time limited basis. You don't need to send me anything that would be confidential. I will also need to know the structure of the barcode information. For example, some employee badges have a prefix of "EM" followed by the clock number.

If it works the way you want, then we could work out payment details and I could send you the program without time limits.

I will need it to be in SQL 2005 because I am away from my office for about a week and have no way of working with a SQL 2000 server.

I am going to attempt to attach a file here reguarding the information you request. The difference between what you see here and what we would actually be using is:

a. the information in the database. THis file is older and almost none of the people are still here.
b. this report is a .TLD report. It was created by SMA reading the SQL. So the layout is the same just the format is different. If you want an easy way to open it just rename it to .CSV and use excel to open it.

Archie said:
I guess I probably should have said that it was easy and straight forward for someone that programs PC's all the time.

If you could send me a partial copy of the database, I only need to see the table structure and a couple sample records, then I could put something together for you that would work on a time limited basis. You don't need to send me anything that would be confidential. I will also need to know the structure of the barcode information. For example, some employee badges have a prefix of "EM" followed by the clock number.

If it works the way you want, then we could work out payment details and I could send you the program without time limits.

I will need it to be in SQL 2005 because I am away from my office for about a week and have no way of working with a SQL 2000 server.