Profibus

BTalbot

I have a application coming up where upto 8 nodes of the profi network
will be on a rotary dial. Has anyone used Profibus or anyother highspeed comms. thru a slip-ring (rotary connector). My initial thought is to be scared. But I have seen many succesful apps using encoder signals thru slip-rings(Turret rewinders). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am curious. The objective of a network is to connect devices together, why would you use a rotary dial? Seems like it defeats the purpose. Is there a need to change devices on the network based on products that are being made? I am guessing but I would think an HMI/PLC could be used to connect to the devices in a more efficient manner.

seppo, I think the word may be "commutator"

This "dial" will have 8 servo drives and motors on it. The products enter the dial at the 7 O'clock position and index around and exit at the 5 O'clock posn. at each station the product has some work done to it and the servo's provide the Positioning/orientation. The drives need to know the product size and a offset variable. This particular machine will have a Siemens plc. the servos have Modbus, DeviceNet and Profibus comm options available, so Profi makes the most sense. There will be slip sings for the AC power and 24 VDC.

There used to be a product called Rotodat. It was touted as an 'infrared slip-ring' for transmitting data across a rotating connection. The basic product was made by a Hungarian company, but the product was available in the USA through a company called CICAT.

There is still a CICAT.com website, but it doesn't mention that product. However, the Fairfax Virginia address for Cicat Networks is the same as what I have for the company that supportes the Rotodat product. Same phone number also. A Google search for the keyword 'Rotodat' results in only a couple of sites, all of which are blind alleys.

So, FWIW, you can try other search engines or try contacting that company currently known as Cicat Networks. The full product designation was ROTODAT RINF-V01. Good luck.

Last edited:
Slip-Rings for networking

ControlNet and DeviceNet are both a lot more touchy than Profibus for signalling medium, and I've run both of those with good results through slip-rings made by Michigan Scientific.

http://www.michsci.com/

They design their rings for demanding applications like underwater oil rig work, so they're stout and durable and have a price to match.

I might lean toward an infrared link instead of slip rings if possible for this application. Hirschmann's IZD product has a good reputation for performance in no-contact Profibus applications.

Just to throw out another possibility for you. Omron makes wireless Devicenet Units. I haven't used them myself, only seen them at a few trade shows.

The model numbers are:

WD30-ME (Master)
WD30-SE (Slave)

As I recall they aren't that cheap but they may be cheaper than some of your other options.

Just thought I would mention them.

GE Fanuc Genius on slip ring

I am currently and have been using (8 years) the product that Steve mentioned in his post. We use it on GE's Genius network and it works great. I think we have only changed it once during this time.

hello!
Here is one siemens solution for your device:
http://www4.ad.siemens.de/csinfo/li...ID=1413638&objaction=csview&lang=en&siteid=cs

Introduction:
The SIMATIC NET PROFIBUS ILM (Infrared Link Module) is intended for use in PROFIBUS networks. It allows
the conversion of electrical PROFIBUS interfaces (RS 485 level) into transmittable light signals in the infrared,
invisible wavelength range and vice-versa.
With the PROFIBUS ILM, it is possible to link an existing PROFIBUS network with a second PROFIBUS
network without a physical cable connection between the two subnets (electrical cables or fiber-optic cable).
The PROFIBUS ILM is therefore particularly suitable for cableless links with the following:
 Turntables
 Automatic transport systems
 Modifiable test equipment
The transmission is optical and therefore depends on line-of-sight contact between two PROFIBUS ILMs. Apart
from point-to-point links, point-to-multipoint links are also possible.
At least two PROFIBUS ILMs are necessary for a transmission link.