Prev_Cycle Time

userxyz

Can anyone explain why some people use the Prev_Cycle Time instead of OB35 for PID block FB41 ???

I don't understand the Prev_Cycle Time

PID loops especially the I & D terms are time dependant. if you use OB1 the cycle time is variable, hence the prev_cycle time is required to calculate PID loops correctly.

indeed

godfrey said:
But isn't OB35 called on a regular timed basis regardless of the variation in scan time?

Indeed, that's my problem too. Prev_Cycle changes ???

OB35 doesn't, so OB35 is much better, isn't it ?

The only thing I can think of is that OB35 interrupts the main cycle every 100 ms (or whatever time is specified for OB35). Particularly for a relatively slow process, this may be too often and unnecessarily lengthen the cycle time. Using Prev_Cycle to recalculate the values for the loop instead, could lead to faster times on average.

In this case it would probably make sence to "roll your own" PID (as required) controller, optimised for the process concerned.

Originally posted by Combo:

Indeed, that's my problem too. Prev_Cycle changes ???

OB35 doesn't, so OB35 is much better, isn't it ?

This doesn't directly answer your original question. However, it doesn't matter so much that the value changes as long as you knbow what the value is. I haven't worked with FB41 before. As long as FB41 allows one to change the update rate every time it is called and it uses the latest update rate as part of the I & D calculations then using Prev_Cycle as the time should be OK. I have done something similar with other processors.

As for your original question I'm not sure why someone would choose to do this as opposed to using OB35. By using scan counters and selective FB calls several different update rates could be used out of a single OB35 update rate.

Keith

Ob35

I still don't understant the prev cycle time ...
Why is this a replacement tool for OB35 ?

kamenges said:
This doesn't directly answer your original question. However, it doesn't matter so much that the value changes as long as you knbow what the value is. I haven't worked with FB41 before. As long as FB41 allows one to change the update rate every time it is called and it uses the latest update rate as part of the I & D calculations then using Prev_Cycle as the time should be OK. I have done something similar with other processors.

As for your original question I'm not sure why someone would choose to do this as opposed to using OB35. By using scan counters and selective FB calls several different update rates could be used out of a single OB35 update rate.

Keith

Could the answer be that they just got it wrong?
Clearly using a time interrupt is better.
I have used OB35 for PID before - but not just by running all the PID's each time. Most PID's do not need to run every 100mSec, so use a little scheduler in OB35 so (a simple example) if you have 4 PID's then each will run once every 400mSec, but only one will run each 100mSec.

ob35

So you write something like,
first PID, second cycle the second PID, third cycle the third PID and 4th cycle the 4th PID in OB1 , q routine like this...

Why is this better, is the Prev_Cycle too much vqriqble ?

FrancisL said:
Could the answer be that they just got it wrong?
Clearly using a time interrupt is better.
I have used OB35 for PID before - but not just by running all the PID's each time. Most PID's do not need to run every 100mSec, so use a little scheduler in OB35 so (a simple example) if you have 4 PID's then each will run once every 400mSec, but only one will run each 100mSec.

PID Algorithms generally depend on being executed with a consistent time base, as the maths they use for integration and differentiation assumes so. And if the scan rate is not consistent they can produce errors. Don't ask me the maths but there is plenty.
In addition using a timed interrupt, which is what OB35 is, ensures that whatever is called from there overrides the main scan, in fact interrupts it, so that you can be sure that the PID (in this case) is executed consistently.
PID Algorithms are also processor intensive, and calling all the PID from the main scan, (or a timer in the main scan), will produce 'lumpy' scans which of course we do not want.
Quite why there is a Prev_Cycle parameter beats me, anyone got an idea?
Here we need an answer from the designer of the PID FB.

Going back to the original question:-

Combo said:
Can anyone explain why some people use the Prev_Cycle Time instead of OB35 for PID block FB41 ???

How do you know that some people do - or am I misinterpreting the question ?

Well,

I've seen this in a program, a machine that we bought..

L D[AR2 said:
Going back to the original question:-

How do you know that some people do - or am I misinterpreting the question ?

Personally, I prefer OB35, it's easy... and works...

But how can you determine the OB35 cycle time ??? How much do you have to enter...

here is the program I've seen:
pdi1.JPG

pdi2.JPG

You can modify the OB35 interrupt period by right-clicking on the CPU in HW-Config -> object properties -> cyclic interrupts.

Don't make the time any shorter than you really need it, or you could end up unecessarily extending the cycle time.

hey

RMA said:
You can modify the OB35 interrupt period by right-clicking on the CPU in HW-Config -> object properties -> cyclic interrupts.

Don't make the time any shorter than you really need it, or you could end up unecessarily extending the cycle time.

i know where I can set the OB35 cycle time, and it's set to 200ms...

but how do you know that it should be 400, 200, 50ms ... whatever ?