Create Button To Open Log Files directly from RSView

Rizgar

Hello,
I created a Wide, long file name Dbase Data Log Model to get information for some tags. It stores data in the path (C:\program files\Rockwell software\DLGLOG). It create one file every 24 hours and log data every Hour.
I need your help to create a button on RSView32 so as when I press it to open the folder DLGLOG that contain those files to browse them without closing RSView32. Is this need VB code, Macro or .....

Regards,

You can create a new display that contains a trend and in that trend you can see the data that is been save on the datalog.

If you ever see a datalog file is like an excel spreadsheet, and perhaps the trend is a better solution.

Thanks Widelto,
There is a trend to display the data and I am able to see and open the data in spreedsheet after closing RSView32 project.
What I want to do, is to open the folder that contain the daily log files with out closing RSView32 project. I read that this can be done by writing a VB code and create a button on RSView32 screen to execute this code by pressing it. I don't know how to write the code.

Rizagr

My preferred method is

If you have Excel on your computer you can open the file (C:\program files\Rockwell software\DLGLOG). from Excel, with out needing to stop RSView 32.
Then select the file of your choice

I have never done this but I think its possible.

From within RSView 32, Create a button, set to run command, in press action, select from the, Data log list, Runtime, Data log path, etc

Hope you get what you are after.

Thanks Gil47,

I have excel on the computer.
I created a button and set the press action as you mentioned but it opening the Data Log Editor model to enabling change the path where the log files saved and not opening the folder that containing all daily log files.
I face another problem regarding Tag names. The data loger replace the tag name with indexes like 0, 1, .... and as the tags are to many I want, if it's possible, the real tag names (like Flow, Total flow,...) appear in the log file instead of index numbers.

In the data logging models you have 3 .dbf files, One has the data and uses a tag index number as its reference, this is the largest of the 3 files, another has the tag names with the tag index number beside it, the next is for string values which in my case is not collecting data.

I would myself prefer to view this data in a trend as Widelto said earlier,

Last edited:
First... I am not good with VBA

Second...this is what we do, here are 2 pics of a application we have running and how we do it, now keep in mind that the reason we do it, our trends are not on a local drive they are stored on the network, so if you are going to view local you do not have to use the VBA...
VBA1.jpg

VBA2.jpg

I'm sure there is more in the VBA that applies to this, if I get time later I will dig around

Hi,

Another option is to put the following in the Run Command Release action

AppStart "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\New Folder\2006 11 27 0000 Test (Float).DBF"

Where the script "C:\New Folder\2006 11 27 0000 Test (Float).DBF" is the path and file name of your data log file.

I have done this before, but not exactly as you want. I run a specific excel file. The excel file have a listbox which loads all the log files of the specific directory [filter to load only ...(float).dbf files, which contains the integer and real data) . So the user can choose to open that, by double click on the file name.

Good Luck

Thanks Geniusintraining and Chavak for reply.

Is there any way to make the Data Log model to show the real Tag name ( like Wet well Level or Flow rate) in tag name columb instead of index numbers (Like 0,1,2....) for tags been added in the model.