Step 5 - 115U Power Supply

ToolGuyFred

Hi Guys

I'm trying to put together a spares package to keep an S5 control system limping along while we design something more, erm... available. I have just had a quote for a 6ES5-951-7LD21 of over £1200. Do I need to use one of these or is it just an expensive way to supply the PLC with 24V? (Excuse my ignorance, this isn't hardware I'm familiar with.)

Thanks in advance...

I don't think you can wire in a external power supply,

It feeds the back plane, or it would be just a big pain if you could, is yours bad? the way you have worded the question its like you just want a spare...

I don't know if they ship to your part of the world but you can search places like here http://www.plccenter.com/sm/6ES59517LD21.html or e-bay,

geniusintraining said:
I don't think you can wire in a external power supply,

It feeds the back plane, or it would be just a big pain if you could, is yours bad? the way you have worded the question its like you just want a spare...

I don't know if they ship to your part of the world but you can search places like here http://www.plccenter.com/sm/6ES59517LD21.html or e-bay,

Also, the power supply is where the PLC battery is located.

1200 pounds sounds outrageous, unless it is a brand new build direct from the factory.

Ian

I buy sometimes on Ebay, mostly in Germany are lots of 115 stuf available. For low prices, sometimes i pay more for the shipping.

Fred (as in ToolGuy)

I suggest you investigate getting a service exchange on this power supply, a service exchange one costs us £626, a brand spanking new one is listed as £1,251.

I was also told by our Siemens rep, that Siemens will not supply brand new S5 parts unless the user showes a commitment to changing over to S7. Perhaps that's him scare mongering

Paul

PLucas said:
Fred (as in ToolGuy)

I suggest you investigate getting a service exchange on this power supply, a service exchange one costs us £626, a brand spanking new one is listed as £1,251.

Thanks Paul. My problem is that the only PSU I have is fitted to a machine in production a minimum of 80 hours per week. I'm looking for a spare unit (which may never get used) as the machine with the S5 system is rated as business-critical. The same machine also has two Sinumerik 805 CNC controls which in availability rank somewhere between rocking-horse droppings and hens teeth...

Of course, the solution is to replace the entire control system with something modern and available. That is neither a trivial task nor something likely to happen in the next few months.

Looks like a brand spanker from Siemens or Ebay.

i will not use Siemens products because they love to make everthing obsolete very quickly and then charge a fortune for any remaining stock.

I was recently quoted £2500 for obsolete S5 software just so I could backup a customers code in case of any future problems.

icon8.gif

davefinic said:
i will not use Siemens products because they love to make everthing obsolete very quickly and then charge a fortune for any remaining stock.

I was recently quoted £2500 for obsolete S5 software just so I could backup a customers code in case of any future problems.

icon8.gif
You have my agreement re Siemens but unfortunately life isn't so simple. The machine is of German manufacture and we still need support for the machine as a whole. When the control system is modernised, it will almost certainly have to be S7 or the manufacturers will disown it. If it were down to me, the whole system would be replaced with Mitsubishi (our site standard).

The industry in which I currently work has no machine manufacturers in the UK. We have to go either to Germany or Japan. Even the Japanese machines cause us difficulties with spares as many of the Mitsubishi components are "domestic market only" and have never been exported (as components) outside Japan.

davefinic said:

icon8.gif

This range of PLC hardware has been in use for over 20 years not bad ... software changes quite often yes but then maybe not entirely Siemens fault.

Eric

aikona said:
This range of PLC hardware has been in use for over 20 years not bad ... software changes quite often yes but then maybe not entirely Siemens fault.

Eric

I agree this software has been around along time but a few years ago Siemens brought out a distribution board at a very good price to break into the market, and after 1 year updted this board to a new one and almost immediatly the MCBs were hard to get hold of and within anouther year the MCBs for the updated board were hard to come by.
I have been fitting MEM distribution boards for over 10 years and any updates still allow the old or new MCBs to be fitted.
I will NEVER buy Siemens products again unless there is no alternative.

ToolGuyFred said:
Hi Guys

I'm trying to put together a spares package to keep an S5 control system limping along while we design something more, erm... available. I have just had a quote for a 6ES5-951-7LD21 of over £1200. Do I need to use one of these or is it just an expensive way to supply the PLC with 24V? (Excuse my ignorance, this isn't hardware I'm familiar with.)

Thanks in advance...

Brand new one on ebay here for just over £500

Used one here for £249

ToolGuyFred said:
You have my agreement re Siemens but unfortunately life isn't so simple. The machine is of German manufacture and we still need support for the machine as a whole. When the control system is modernised, it will almost certainly have to be S7 or the manufacturers will disown it. If it were down to me, the whole system would be replaced with Mitsubishi (our site standard).

The industry in which I currently work has no machine manufacturers in the UK. We have to go either to Germany or Japan. Even the Japanese machines cause us difficulties with spares as many of the Mitsubishi components are "domestic market only" and have never been exported (as components) outside Japan.

Out of curiosity, what industry are you in?