laikerjian

I originally wanna connect a GPS receiver to a PLC,
there is an adapter of RS 232 for PLC,
could I have the string send by the GPS receiver
to store in the memory block of PLC and
does the data store is original?

How can i make sure the data receive from the GPS receiver
to the PLC is correct?!

If your GPS works when plugged to PC serial port (DB9), then same cable will work with PLC as well...
In case PLC has different style of the RS232 connector (such as MiniDin etc.) you will need to make converter...

Information in PLC

What i worry is,
The data send by the GPS receiver to the plc,
will the plc change the information if they are not compatible?
just like we cannot plug our ps2 mouse port into a ps2 keyboard port, although is same port but the port cannot recognize the
mouse if it is in a ps2 keyboard port.

I haven decide to choose any brand,
beside i am thinking if applicable,
wondering could i get it done with
normal price PLC...

For what it is worth, I see that RedLion has written a driver for the Garmin GPS products that will let you read in all of the variables very easily. You could them use the Gateway function to link those to reqisters within your PLC. This might be a little overkill for your application but it might be the easiest solution. Or you could write the ladder logic that will allow you to read the ASCII strings via the RS-232 connection. I have a dregding machine builder that uses this Garmin driver with his G310 HMI's talking to his Automation Direct PLC's. This is working very well.

Joe_WaZoo

Herm, is this product available in my country?

------GPS 18 PC — has DB-9 pin serial connector with 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter; can output data in NMEA 0183 format (industry standard) or proprietary Garmin format.----

the above is a product from garmin,
but i was wondering whether i could get one
in my country, (malaysia)

As the above item, could I get them both plcs and GPS receiver
communicate correctly?
as the string that store inside is gonna to be use
to modify the output of the plc...

Yes, the RedLion unit will read that standard NMEA 0183 format. And yes it would be able to have your PLS and the GPS unit talk to each other correctly.

I do not know if you can buy these products in your area of the world.

Joe_WaZoo

It is possible to programme the plc to have it input read the data direct from the GPS? without direct saving into the register?