Allen Bradley

Samilof said:
dear All,

wt is so special abt AB? wt r the adv. and dis.
thx in advance

best regards,
Samy

I really do dislike this IM speak. I would prefer a normally written question. How many people here use this in their work related activities?

I agree Bruce, I can never understand this type of writing. I guess I missed that whole fad of abbreviated text writing. I know it would have never passed in my Technical Writing course in college.

Joe_WaZoo

The only real advantage AB has a priori is the wide user base and ease of finding someone to support it, at least in the US. It has adv/disav when comapared to specific platforms.

brucechase said:
I really do dislike this IM speak. I would prefer a normally written question. How many people here use this in their work related activities?

We use MSN messenger a fair amount in the workplace, we had one 'younger' guy who used this type of IM speak constantly. Obviously he was told to cease using it as we often communicate with customers in this manner too. After being completely ignored by everyone in the office for about 2 weeks, he got the message. His English is now totally understandable and he now also spell checks all his emails.

I've also done the same with my children if they text me or IM me, I will ignore it until they type it in English. It really hasn't taken them long to get out of the habit.

Its RUDE…. We had this conversation awhile back, if you can’t take the time to TRY and make your question legible, then why would do you think that others should take the time in responding to your question?

Its hard enough to try and figure out the questions and applications, but its near impossible to figure out this form of writing

I am one of the worst ones on this site when it comes to proper grammar, but I put forth the effort to try and make it correct

To the original poster: I am not trying to insult you in anyway and I apologize if I have, it just get frustrating to some of us, please repost your question and I will try and reply

If you use MSWord anything underlined in red? try changing it, you will not be perfect but at least you made the effort

Dear All,

what is so special about Allen Bradley? What are the advantages and disadvantages
thanks in advance

best regards,
Samy

This really depends on how good your local support for AB products is, and I have no idea of the support available in Egypt.
I work for an OEM and we use AB exclusively (although we've bent the rules in the past for certain customers), purely to give ourselves a company standard that seems to fit with the industries that we deal with primarily.

So to sum up the factors you may want to consider:
Check the industries you are going to be dealing with and see what the 'standard' PLC used is.
Check the level of support available locally.

Just some things to consider.

Samilof said:
Dear All,

what is so special about Allen Bradley? What are the advantages and disadvantages
thanks in advance

best regards,
Samy

Hello Samy,

There is nothing special about them really (edit: sorry Ken :D ), they are just a very large manufacture that has a large market share, I (unlike MartB) am a end user and it’s not very often that I am the OEM, so I specify what type I want to use.

I use what ever plc that I think would fit the job well, not necessarily by the brand name, but more buy cost and communication, there are several brands (Allenbradley being one of them) that can support different communication protocol’s

Hope this helps, if you want more ask a more specific question

Regards,

Last edited:
In my opinion,
They are simply popular! They were into PLCs early and had a good reputation before that for quality products. In many applications there are good alternatives from other suppliers. The brand name just sells, and probably will for a long time unless AB themselves screw it up.