looking for a panel with security features

briana banks

Hi All
looking for a touch panel with security features
it should be low cost and have an attractive colored interface.
Most important feature is to be able to enter user name and password (not only password).
i want to create a screen for the administrator to change user access from the panel screen.
when entering password the characters should be shown as asterisks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Briana,

For what you are asking for can be done in just about any screen.

What PLC are you using?

We have done administration screens in both the Beijer H series (formerly Hitech) and KEP MMI series (weintek)

I believe this link will display screen captures from recent applications whereby password protection was used. www.entertron.com/plc_program_development.htm

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

With the latest OS and software, Mitsubishi's GT15 products (from the GOT1000 family) support user name and password authentication. And they connect to a large number of PLC brands.

For what you are asking for can be done in just about any screen.

What PLC are you using?

Using AB CompactLogix.
Have you done it with EXTER T100/70 series?
The only option there is password+level authentication only.
so i tried a workaround using the PLC and it works
but the problem is that when you type the password as an input
for the "text box" it is not shown on the typing pad as asterisks or any other unrecognizable charachters.

It has to have Ethernet connection, drivers to most common plc and an appealing color HMI.
It must be reliable.Export tags to csv files is a must.
cost should be ~2000 US$ a piece at most.

Last edited:
And what size? The GT15 I mentioned should fit the bill, and it does have drivers (effective with same latest version of software) for Ethernet/IP.

Hi Briana.

You probably cannot wait indefinitely, but I just want to mention that Siemens panels will support Ethernet/IP from the next major release. And that will happen sometime between now and the end of the year (!).

That means that an OP177B (keys an touch) or TP177B (touch only) fits almost all your requirements.
Screen size is 6" Color with CGA resolution.
Separate User and password entry. Password with masked letters.
Tags can be imported from csv. But cannot be exported to csv though.
Has drivers to many other PLCs.
To my opinion Siemens panels are reliable.
List price approx. 1800 USD.

briana banks said:
Using AB CompactLogix.
Have you done it with EXTER T100/70 series?
The only option there is password+level authentication only.
so i tried a workaround using the PLC and it works
but the problem is that when you type the password as an input
for the "text box" it is not shown on the typing pad as asterisks or any other unrecognizable charachters.

It has to have Ethernet connection, drivers to most common plc and an appealing color HMI.

Take a look at http://www.hmidirect.com/products/goldseries/goldseries.htm
These are actually panel PC's with HMI/SCADA software. They fit in your $2000 range, slightly higher.

Take a look at all they offer, may want to call them and see what they say that will work for your application.

briana banks said:

Take a good look at the Redlion G3 series

It supports many many plc's, has ethernet for most including Native Tag Addressing for the Control Logix series.

I have been using them for a year now and had no failures.

Tag export/Import to CSV is a standard feature.

I have used the 3", 6", 8" and 10" all are excellent, athough i prefer the 8" and 10" unit.The unit has password and user name (Security Manager) authentication built in, the only thing is the user or admin cannot change the username, this has to be done from C2 (Crimson2 being the free programming software, which includes free F/W updates). If you need a different Password/Username setup you could roll your own using the built in programming/scripting.

By far the best thing about the G3 is the support, this is second to none that i have come across and the redlion guys are regular members here with G3 problems.