Convert Voltage Signal to 4-20 mA

ChemEduo

Hi all! I wonder if anyone knows of a simple way for me to convert the signal from one of our instruments (0-2 V, resolution of 1 mV) to a 4-20 mA signal so that we can use our current PLC configuration. (Modifying the PLC would be about $770 - cheap by some standards, but cheaper is better!) Input impedance must be 1 MegOhm at least.

I contacted a company who said they would be happy to make me a custom card for $1200 that would convert 0-2V to 0-20 mA but then I lose the bottom 20% of my data since the card wouldn't register anything below 4 mA!

Thanks for your help!

Contact Action Instruments, API, and M-Systems. They make all kinds of signal conditioners, and may have a T/C or other unit that you can scale to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Diy

If you are really intent on doing this on the cheap and dont mind a bit of experimenting for about a dollar you could build a voltage amplifier followed by a voltage to current stage from a single operational amplifier. +V can be connected to the 24V supply

voltageamplifier.gif

Sorry I can't be specific I'm a digital guy and a bit rusty on my analog theory but you basically multiply the voltage by 5 in the first stage (plus provide a bias voltage otherwise we would do 0-20mA) then we need to drive 4-20mA through a R1 by selecting a suitable value for R2.

I dont use any 4-20mA stuff these days as I mainly work on micro-controllers not PLC's but from memory there were loads of cricuits on the internet to do what your asking as a lot of micro-controller based control systems need them as they normally work at 0-5V

Last edited:
Try 500 ohms (10v/0.02A) or there bouts for R2 and (looking at the above again) you may also want to look at a better biasing arangement than my 1M pot to improve stability. :oops:

Also if you just want to get a 0-10V ouptut which all PLC's I know will use then simply remove the second op-amp stage and the bias pot on the first stage.

The input resistance of all opamps is well over 1meg so no probs there.

Last edited: