RSSQL Setup Help Needed - Triggers

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm a newb in working with RSSQL. So far I went through the steps and everything looks ok (green light) but I just can't seem to get the trigger part working.

Briefly, this is my setup:

I'm trying to log a numerical value (Float) to a MS Access table when a bit in the PLC goes high.

- RSLinx Classic as Control Connector.
- ODBC as Enterprise Connector
- the trigger bit set as "unscheduled"
- Set the transaction trigger to unscheduled and on raise.

now when I run the configuration. Nothing happens. I also tried the default trigger configuration which use "scheduled" event and managed to at least update the database but the value logged were null.

Ya, FactorySQL seems so much easier but I already own this from a prior project. Any pointer would be appreciated.

I received training on RSSQL in USA, they give me a good installation and setup manual, let me get you most important parts of it, i hope to send them by tomorrow.

Well, I played around and have a little more infomation.

It appears that my connection to the PLC is the issue. I was able to successfuly write to the MS Access DB fine if I chose to use "substuition" on tag value.

I noticed the following error on my RSLinx Classic Connection:

- Open Tagfile failed (error follows (error follows:)
- the Tag Server encountered an Open Das
- Pt LINX. XXXX, AddItem failed (0x0040007)
- Item no longer available in Server address space.
Any ideas? I can connect to PLC fine with RSlogix

The best way I have found is to step through the 'configuration checklist'.

It has various things to tell if the connections are correct.

When you define your connectors, make sure you have 'Factory Talk Live Data' checked.
This is what RSSQL uses to connect to the PLC.

When you go in to define data points you can then drill down to the PLC point you want, bind that to your RSSQL data point then use the transaction to dump it into the right DB table. It sounds like you already figured out the unscheduled trigger mechanism for firing the transaction on demand.

You shouldn't have to use Linx Classic if your connecting RSSQL to an AB PLC, Linx Enterprise is sufficient.
The ODBC connector you mentioned is for the database side and it sounds like you already have that all set up correctly.

harryting said:
Well, I played around and have a little more infomation.

It appears that my connection to the PLC is the issue. I was able to successfuly write to the MS Access DB fine if I chose to use "substuition" on tag value.

I noticed the following error on my RSLinx Classic Connection:

- Open Tagfile failed (error follows (error follows:)
- the Tag Server encountered an Open Das
- Pt LINX. XXXX, AddItem failed (0x0040007)
- Item no longer available in Server address space.
Any ideas? I can connect to PLC fine with RSlogix

What's the complete path to the PLC tag that you are using?

Got it to work...

Did two things, upgraded RSLinx to the same CPR and used Generic OPC connector instead of RSLinx Classic connector.

Did something/someone advise to using the Generic OPC connector, or was it a matter of trial and error?

harryting said:
Got it to work...

Did two things, upgraded RSLinx to the same CPR and used Generic OPC connector instead of RSLinx Classic connector.