Piping/Wiring Question

Rookie_Eng

I have a question about transitioning from EMT conduit to a device. For example this device, 24VDC with PNP output, does not contain a NPT threaded connection so I can't pipe directly to it or use seal-tite. Essentially right now I use a compression fitting with a IMC coupling connected at the end of the EMT run then screw in a strain relief connector for the wire to pass through it to the device. I was wondering if there is a better way to do this and what you have done in the past for a situation like this.

Thanks!

I usually terminate the conduit in an FSC Box then use a strain relief with a quick connect cord to the field device. All my field devices are QD style. In smaller applications, I will end the conduit in a C fitting and then use the same strain relief with a quick connect cord to the field device. I will make the splice in the FSC box or the C fitting. Also, I never use EMT and always run 3/4" rigid or Liquidtite.

I have done it using a rigid coupling screwed to the conduit and then a cord connector screwed into the coupling. If it is a 3/4" conduit then I use a 3/4" x 1/2" reducing bushing for the 1/2" cord connector. This works fine if you don't need to make any kind of termination. I have also used T-fittings if I want to connect to 2 devices. If I have several devices to connect to in a general area I might use a small Hoffman enclosure. I would run something like a 1" conduit and then install several cord connectors in the box. This also serves as a junction box if you need to make terminations. T&B makes some neat cord connectors that allow you to run 3 cables through a 1/2" knockout. They are a little pricey but helps cut down on the number of holes I need to knockout in the box. Bruce, as far as EMT vs rigid it depends on the facility. Not all plants require rigid conduit.

Because I'm often working with hydrualic equipment I frequently use a small die cast gasketed box with some terminal blocks inside. I use meyers hubs at the box entry points and compression fittings on EMT.

This is the connector that I use in situations where I want to protect cables from physical damage...

TX210.gif

It's a T&B part #TX201, but they sell 'em at Home Depot. Only available for 1/2" EMT though.

🍻

-Eric

The connector Eric suggested should not be used if the sensor has a factory-cable attached to it. Splices would need to be made to connect the cable to the conductors in the conduit. Per the NEC, all splices need to be made in a J-box or appropriate fitting.

TX210.gif