encoder omron

juan

We want to know how you can initialize an encoder in his origin position(output z). For the moment we can turn the motor for 360° but there is no zero point(we don't receive pulses on phase z). Phase A and B behave in the correct way. Can anybody help us to correct our mistake?

Check the part number of your encoder. Channel Z is typically an optional feature. You may have purchased an encoder without it. If you should have channel Z, but you're getting no signal from it, then round up the usual suspects; check the wiring to make sure you've connected it properly, check the continuity of the wiring from the encoder to wherever you're using the signal, make sure that the device to which the Z channel signal is connected is not shorted. If all else fails, replace the encoder.

This may not apply here, but certain early versions of the SLC high speed counter card would not accept an input on the Z channel. Whatever hardware you are using may have the same problem. If your encoder does indeed have a Z channel output then a DVM on the output line should tell you whether or not it is working.