plc 5 interface with allen bradley VFD

wanna be tech

I need help on interfacing my allen bradley variable
frequency drive to the PLC 5 using communication channels. Or can somebody explain to me in an easy
tech term not to make my brain bleeds for to much analysis.

Well, if you are using AB drives you can set up one of your channels on your PLC5 as RIO and buy an RIO adapter for the drive. You can then set up the drive as a 1/4 or 1/2 rack and communicate with it that way. You can also use block transfers from the PLC if you need more data.

Need a little more information on what you are trying to accomplish and what you have to be able to say much more than that.

allscott said:
Need a little more information on what you are trying to accomplish and what you have to be able to say much more than that.

and what is the drive you have? do you have a current output on your plc? if so you may also have a current input that you can configure on your drive, or you can just do several discrete inputs do get your speeds.

Again many options, more details are needed

To give the optimum advice, try to supply us with the part number of the drive. A/B has made quite a few different AC drives with a variety of communication options.

Also try to find out if you have:

A. Spare I/O. Find out what inputs (and the types) of spares in the exisitng PLC5
In most applications, you will want an output wire to start the drive separate from the communication channel. You will also want a spare input from the drive. (proof that it is running) Very simple, four wires in addition to the comms. I always include these primary controls with non-deterministic networks or situations where human, product, or machine safety is a factor.

B. Existing control network.
Are there blue hoses coming from the PLC5 Processor? If yes, are they DH+ or RIO?

Is there an Ethernet network? Sidecar processor?

ControlNet Network (look for coaxial cables, RG6 with BNC connectors)?

Is there a Devicenet scanner in the main rack?

If you answer no to all of the above, you should consider keeping it real simple by looking for a spare analog output channel. All you need to control the drive quite nicely is a spare analog output in addition to a couple of discrete I/O. If you have a spare channel in an existing analog output card, chances are most of the difficult "brain bleeding" programming has already been done.

1771-OFEn is one example you might find in the PLC5 rack.

As far as the application, can you describe it.

1. Does it need to reverse?

2. Does is support a suspended load or other stored mechanical energy?

3. And, what is the duty cycle? (How often does it need to start and stop)

Also, try, in your description, to characterize the acceleration and deceleration needed.