PV+ and 5/04 DF1

DaveW

I have a PV+ and a 5/04 that I want to connect serially. The plant DH+ network is heavily loaded so I don't want the PV+ connected to it. My question is is there a way to connect it via serial (DF1) do online programming at the same time without touching the DH+ network? I remember reading on such a device much can't seem to search for it.

It depends on which PV+ you have; all PV+ terminals 700-1500 come standard with RS-232 and Ethernet comms. Any additional comms (like DH+) are added in addition to the standard 232/ethernet. If you have one of these, you could connect to the 5/04 via RS-232 and do your program upload/download via ethernet. This can still be accomplished on the PV+ 400/600 terminals, but they have to be ordered with 232 and ethernet if both are needed.

Thanks, mgvol. I want to be able to do online programming via DF1 serial at the same time let the PV700+ communicate via the same 5/04 serial port. I thought I heard of the DF1 serial splitter of some sort but can't find it.

...I found the part number 1747-DPS1. Thanks anyway

Last edited:
I don't understand what you're calling "online programming"; you cannot do "online" programming with the PV+ (or standard PanelView for that matter). You have to make changes offline on your PC and download into the PV+. The 1747-DPS1 DF1 port splitter is what you are referring to, but I wouldn't incur the additional hardware cost if I could use the built-in network card on my pc to do upload/download without disconnecting the serial cable from the 5/04 - PV+. In either case, the connection between the PV+ and the 5/04 will be interrupted while a download is in progress.

That can't be done. 232 is a non-addressed protocol, so it's a one-in/one-out type of "network". Now, that is different if you want to go 485.

You can get a serial switch that would allow the plc to be connected to either the PV OR the PC, but not both at the same time.

But there's no reason why you still can't hook them up DH+, though not on the big DH+ network. Just to each other.

(Disclaimer: I'm willing to be proven wrong here.....)

Mgvol, sorry for the confusion. I want to do PLC online editing via the serial port.

Ozee, the DH+ network has something like 30+ nodes already and I heard of problems so I didn't want them to ever blame me for it going down. The 5/04 will be connected to that DH+ network so they can poll some analog data off of my plc.

I guess I'll have to take my chance and work on the DH+ network.

With that many nodes, you probably ought to look at breaking it into at least two different networks, then "marrying them back together" with for remote monitoring via a ControlLogix Gateway.

To keep away from your DH+, you could go with a Digi one-IAP.

It will allow your SLC to keep a serial connection to the HMI and you can use your laptop with ethernet and a switch/hub or simply a crossover cable to do online programming.

We have a bunch of these here to get our 5/04s onto ethernet through their otherwise unused serial port. I haven't tried using it in an application such as yours where both online programming and HMI data would pass through SLC Ch0, so I can't speculate on the performance.

They are very versatile litte units though, and reliability has been very good, even in our overheated, damp enclosures.