1756-OB Configuration

Mark Aldrich

I am trying to set up a ControlLogix PLC and the output cards (OB16 and OB32) both have a blinking OK light. The manual tells me to configure the module. What do I need to do?

Local or remote rack?

For local rack, download a program that includes the module in the I/O config, and put it in run mode.

For remote racks, download a network schedule if needed (ControlNet, EthernetIP I/O, etc).

Blinking usually indicates that the module is okay, but has no active communications connections to a processor.

What state does RSLogix5000 show the module in, in the I/O tree while Online? Check the module status there.

In addition to what was said above any output will have blinking OK if controller is not in RUN mode.

Any yellow triangles in I/O configuration?

Contr_Conn said:
This bit is for DeviceNet scanner only, I assume he is using 1756-OB modules, so it has nothign to do with scanner

D'oh! You're right, as usual I'm opening mouth and inserting foot! That's what I get for assuming and replying to a post after talking to someone about remote racks!

Summary: The original problem was that the output modules showed the OK light blinking in green and the documentation stated this meant the module needed to be configured. The actual problem was that the PLC was not in the "run" mode, therefore the outputs were not being updated. Once the PLC was put in the "run" mode, the OK light became steady and the outputs became active.