AB 1784-PCICS Communication problems

MAR715

I am having problems getting a AB 1784-PCICS card to communicate on a ControlNet network. The card is in a VersaView 1500P running RSView SE (RSLinx Enterprise). I want to communicate to a 1756-CNBR module. I have the ControlNet network setup but it is flashing red on the CNBR and red/green on the PCICS card. Tech support is no help - they say it is either a bad cable or taps but I have tested them on another network and get solid green. Does anyone know of something i may have missed in setting up the network?

Techsupport told you correctly - you have a bad hardware or node address is not set. Most likely yo need to reconfigure PCICS.
User manual CNET-UM001

cnet1.jpg

cnet2.jpg

Last edited:
I checked all the cables/taps on another network and they were working. So I know they are not bad. The PCICS card is right out of the box. And I have the node address set to Node 2 which is not above the UMAX. I installed the driver for the PCICS and made sure it was the current driver. I have tried all options and still is not working.

How you know that UMAX is higher than 2?
Offline file does not count.
You need to set it online. To set it online you need a network that you don't have yet.
Is this CNB new out of box or used before?
What node did you put for CNB? What scrolls on CNB display?

I still beleive that PCICS is not configured or you have hardware problem. Are you sure you connected cables to ch A on both cards?

When I spoke with tech support, they confirmed that a node address of 2 would not be a problem. The CNBR module is new and I set it up on another network and it works. So that is not the problem. The CNBR module node is set at 1.

Yes, the cables are all connected to Ch. A.

I know the problem is with the PCICS card. I just don't know where. I have followed all the steps in the installation manual. And I have it set up in RSView Studio SE.

If CNB was used on another network, then it needs to be reset using keeper clear utility. Did you try PCICS on antoher network?

I believe I have the same problem

I am having the same problem with a 1700P. RSLinx does not recognize the 1784-PCIC but if I look at my Device Manager in Windows everything is ok with the card. Rockwell Tech support has had my case for at least 2 weeks and no resolution to the problem. I am going to try removing the card in Windows and re-installing a new driver and firmware that I downloaded yesterday. The current firmware on my series B card is 4.00. There is a newer firmware revision 4.10 that was updated in May 2007. I will let you know if this works.

Last edited:
I had the cards replaced and the new ones worked perfectly. Our A-B rep either thinks there was a problem with the cards or that the air duct bracket caused the issue.

Is the air duct bracket touching the card at all ? It has to be adjusted to a lesser opened position. We did not have it adjusted enough. They can't confirm if that was the problem though. It is not mentioned anywhere but in the user manual of the VersaView which you are not given. Here's a link to it...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/6181p-um001_-en-p.pdf

It is in Chapter 4.

I hope you figure it out - I know it caused me two weeks of frustration!

1784-pcic

I updated the driver and still no good. Luckily I have a temporary ethernet connection that is allowing me to communicate with the processor. When I try to add the driver in RSLinx, I get the following message: Unable to access 1784-PCIC kernel mode driver. At least one 1784-PCIC card needs to be installed.

As I mentioned in my previous thread, Windows Device Manager sees the card with no problems. I will take a closer look tomorrow at the installation of the card itself. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had exactly the same issue with my cards. Device manager saw the card and it was installed properly. I also had updated the driver. With one card, I received the "Unable to access 1784-PCIC kernel mode driver. At least one 1784-PCIC card needs to be installed." And with the other card, I could configure the driver in RSLinx but it could not be started.

Unfortunately, there was no real explanation for what was going on, except either air duct bracket interference or defective card. AB was reluctant to say it was defective cards. But they exchanged the cards and the new ones worked fine.

I would suggest returning the card for a new one.

1784-PCIC ControlNet Card

Thanks again. I have had better response from you than I have in the last 2 weeks with anyone at Rockwell. I was reluctant until now to replace the card, but after your response, I am going to. The probelm that I had with returning the card was that I purchased all of my equipment about 2 years ago, it is just now starting up, and they are refusing warranty because of the time lapse. By the way, the fan bracket on the cover was hitting the card. I may have ruined the card with the way the damper was positioned. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and purchase a new card. Thanks again, you were a great help.