Communicate remotely to 1761-Net-ENT

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was hoping someone could help me with the basics of setting up a remote connection to a SLC 5/03 processor VIA a 1761-Net-ENI module.

A customer has the ENI module connected to their LAN which has a router with a public IP address. They have given me the address of the router and I have the address of the Net-ENI module.

I guess what I am after is how Linx is setup to make that connection to the ENI module. Any advice would be insight would be appreciated.

Dustin

Also, I am using Linx Classic Gateway V2.51

Alright everyone, here's where I'm at now:

I have a piece of softwrae running called radmin. It's a simple piece of software similar to PCAnywhere. I am connected to a PC that has RSLogix and RSLinx Lite on it (at the customer sight).

After some fumbling around, I have the "remote devices via linx gateway" driver configured and I can see the processor. Everytime I try and go online (or upload), it tells me that the following message:

"Configuring the setting directly to Linx Gateway is not allowed. Add a new TCP driver (remote devices via linx gateway) in RSLinx Classic, and then select your path through this driver"

Could this have anything to do with them using Linx light? Do they need a more advanced version of Linx, or is this a setting that I have wrong?

One thing that I should also note is that the DF1 passthrough bit is enabled in the processor. I know that when this is enabled that the 1770KF2 driver in Linx is typically required in order to go online through the serial port. Could this be stopping me?

Thanks,

Dustin

OK,
If the situation is that you are taking remote control of the customer site PC and using the RSLogix and RSLinx lite installed on the customer's pc, you should NOT be using the "remote devices via linx gateway" driver. You should be using the same driver that the pc would use if you were sitting at it at the customer's site.

If the situation is that you want to use the RSLogix and RSLinx lite on your pc and use the customer's pc just to allow a connection to the processor, then the "remote devices via linx gateway" driver is the correct one to use on your pc. However, then the RSLinx on the customer's pc can no longer be RSLinx lite, it must be RSLinx Gateway. In this case you still have to configure a driver on customer's pc that can talk to the PLC.

Either configuration will allow you to work on the PLC remotely.

You know, that's what I figured.

I tried using the Ethernet driver, and I can see the PLC, but trying to go online gives me the same error that I posted above.

So I took the advice and used the same "remote devies via linx gateway" driver and bam! Same error.

I guess my problem is that I have never had the privlage of working with a Net-ENI module before. So I wasn't sure which driver to use. Since the error message suggested the gateway driver, that is what I have been messing with.

Oh, and the situation is the first that you suggested. Me using the customer's PC to connect to the processor.

Last edited:
After some fumbling around, I have the "remote devices via linx gateway" driver configured and I can see the processor. Everytime I try and go online (or upload), it tells me that the following message:

For this you need to have rslinx gateway software at your customer end

rPraveenkum said:
For this you need to have rslinx gateway software at your customer end
He has already stated he has it, but he doesn't need it because he is using a remote desktop type software to connect to a computer at the customers plant.

Just for clarification, are you using the Ethernet Devices driver or the Ethernet/IP driver?

What types of firewalls and security software/hardware are we dealing with on the remote PC?